none
Report is being generated - but never does! After Visual Studio sp1 install RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Visual Studio SP1 to resolve some IDE and performance issues i've been experiencing. After this an app I am currently developing started not to display local reports (embedded rdlc files using the report viewer control in local mode) - it got stuck on the 'Report is being generated' screen. However I could build the exe and run it on another machine and the report would work perfectly?????

I discovered SP1 had updated 3 of the dlls 
    in my GAC to a new version 8.0.50727.762 these being;

microsoft.reportviewer.common.dll
    microsoft.reportviewer.winforms.dll
    microsoft.reportviewer.webforms.dll

On a non-service packed machine the DLL's were on version
    8.0.50727.42 and the report worked perfectly.

So in essence SP1 broke my reports!!!! To resolve this i tried uninstalling SP1 and visual studio ... however the newer dll's were left in the GAC. So uninstalled absolutely everything Visual Studio 2005, SQL 2005, .NET 2.0 and 1.1sp1 - deleted the framework folders and temp folders and started again. Got my development PC to pre-visual studio sp1. I used gacutil /if to replace the dll's in the GAC with the pre-sp1 versions . I then recompiled my app and the reports worked perfectly both in debug and as a exe.

I then re-installed SP1 - trying to find out if SP1 had failed somehow ... but according to the logs it installed perfectly. I then recompiled my application - and lo and behold they were stuck on the "report is being generated screen again".

Since I want the reliability improvements of SP1 - i decided to re-gac the old dll's which i'd taken a copy of so using gacutil /if i re-gacced the .42 reportviewer dll's..... success  if i ran the exe  my report  rendered perfectly - but hang on a minute - i'd compliled my app using SP1 and the SP1 modifications - how was the report working now????
    So i tried running it in Debug mode - and lo and behold - it just sat on the "Report is being generated screen" -WTF!!!! I then did a filescan and discovered that Visual studio uses it's own temporary copy of the DLL's when running in Debug mode - so I simply replaced the dll's in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\ReportViewer with the .42 version ... recompiled and amazingly my report worked in Debug mode!!

So and I'll need to shout this out .... THE VISUAL STUDIO 2005 SP1 VERSION OF REPORTVIEWER DOES NOT WORK IN LOCAL MODE IN A VISUAL BASIC PROJECT - MICROSOFT SORT IT OUT !!!!
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:27 PM