none
How can I develop my spreadsheet to make sure it works on other PCs RRS feed

• Question

• Since I'm starting to develop excel spreadsheets that will need the controls, Date Time Picker and MonthView, I'm concerned now when I deploy these spreadsheets to other users, I'm afraid that the spreadsheet might not work because the file that was missing on my PC may not exist on other PC's

What process can I implement on my end to ensure the spreadsheets I develop will work on other PCs? For example:

a. Is there a way to check if a user has the mscomct2.ocx file? If so, can I dynamically add the MonthView control to the userform using VBA? If the file doesn't exist than can the code just use another control (i.e. text box)

b. Can I make some form of executable that will check for the existence of this file and if it doesn't exist, copy the file to the correct location and then register it on my client base PC?

Keith

Keith Aul

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith Aul,

Based on my undersanding, it is no convenient to check the prerequisite(ActiveX control etc.) for the Office document.

As a workaround, I suggest that you condier to developing with VSTO solution since it is easy to check the prerequisite. We can use the managed control in the solution and it is more powerful.

You can get more detail about VSTO solution from link below:
    Create Add-ins and Customizations for Office by using Visual Studio

>>a. Is there a way to check if a user has the mscomct2.ocx file? If so, can I dynamically add the MonthView control to the userform using VBA? If the file doesn't exist than can the code just use another control (i.e. text box)

b. Can I make some form of executable that will check for the existence of this file and if it doesn't exist, copy the file to the correct location and then register it on my client base PC?<<

If you do want to use VBA to check whether the ActiveX was installed and have issue developing VBA, I suggest that you reopen a thread in VBA forum since there is no such function to achieve the goal in Excel ojbect model.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:18 AM