none
CoTaskMemAlloc/CoTaskMemFree - do I need to explicitly free on the Managed code side? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, In the following code...

Unmanaged C++
    ===========

unsigned long CPLUSPLUS_EXPORT Echo(unsigned long allocSize, LPTSTR* pchXmlResultOut);
    unsigned long Echo(unsigned long allocSize, LPTSTR* pchXmlResultOut)
    {

CoTaskMemFree(*pchXmlResultOut);
    	*pchXmlResultOut = (LPTSTR)CoTaskMemAlloc(allocSize+1);
    	_sntprintf(*pchXmlResultOut, (allocSize+1), "ABCEFJ%ld", allocSize);
    	return 134;
    }

Managed Code:
    ==========

const string PmCoreDtDll = @"cplusplus.dll";
     [DllImport(PmCoreDtDll)]
     public static extern uint Echo(int size, ref string pchXmlResultOut);

// Call C++ unmanaged function
    string dtReply = string.Empty;
    Echo("AAA", bufSize, ref dtReply);

In the above code, do I need to do anything specific on the Managed Code side to release the memory allocated on the Unmanaged code side?
    From what I read at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164193.aspx, I don't have to do anything.
    But, I have a test program that calls into that C++ code with 800000000 as the size of the string to be returned, in a loop.
    When I notice the Private Bytes of the process, it seems to be leaking memory.  Not exactly sure if I am missing anything.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

- Athadu
    • Edited by Athadu123 Monday, July 19, 2010 4:10 PM Removed blank lines and formatted code properly
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just based on your code snippet, if you don't free the memory, nobody will. So I think you need to call the CoTaskMemFree from the managed code.

Below is some quotation from the article you mentioned.

"Since this involves memory allocation and de-allocation, the biggest problem is what function to use. There are many to choose from: HeapAlloc/HeapFree, malloc/free, new/delete, and so on. However, since the CLR uses CoTaskMemAlloc/CoTaskMemFree in the non-BSTR case and SysStringAlloc/SysStringAllocByteLen/SysStringFree in the BSTR case, you'll have to use those functions. Otherwise, it is likely that you'll get a memory leak or a crash in certain versions of Windows®. "

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just based on your code snippet, if you don't free the memory, nobody will. So I think you need to call the CoTaskMemFree from the managed code.

Below is some quotation from the article you mentioned.

"Since this involves memory allocation and de-allocation, the biggest problem is what function to use. There are many to choose from: HeapAlloc/HeapFree, malloc/free, new/delete, and so on. However, since the CLR uses CoTaskMemAlloc/CoTaskMemFree in the non-BSTR case and SysStringAlloc/SysStringAllocByteLen/SysStringFree in the BSTR case, you'll have to use those functions. Otherwise, it is likely that you'll get a memory leak or a crash in certain versions of Windows®. "

Thanks,
    Sam
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to check the status of the thread. How is the problem going on?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Monday, July 26, 2010 11:11 AM
  • We temporarily mark a reply, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:10 AM