none
Kinect for windows and windows 8 integration

Question

• Hello,

I have two projects. One is a metro project in visual studio 11 running in Windows 8. The other app is a windows application where I control the Kinect for Windows. In the Kinect project I capture some events when I do movements and I want to translate these movements to slides movements.<o:p></o:p>

I add the two projects in a one solution vs11 and I try to add the Kinect project reference in the metro project, but I can’t. You know if this union of these two projects is possible?<o:p></o:p>

Another question, you know if I have a windows 8, can I use the windows 8 controls to move a slider of a metro app with a kinect? How?

Thanks in advance.

Pau Jordan

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• ... I add the two projects in a one solution vs11 and I try to add the Kinect project reference in the metro project, but I can’t. You know if this union of these two projects is possible?<o:p></o:p>

No, as far as I know and have heard (and seen in presentations, etc), that's not possible. Metro app's must be standalone and cannot reference other apps/services running on the same system.

You can play some tricks and use local networking to get a Metro app (using local host loopback, sockets, etc) to talk to another app/service on the Desktop, but that app won't make it through the Windows Store process (again, so I've heard).

The current Kinect SDK isn't compatible with Metro Style apps... but there's a new version of the SDK coming out real soon, maybe that will help (or maybe we'll see more support in the Windows 9 Release Preview in June).

Hope this helps a little at least...

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:26 PM
  • someone in windows 8 told me when i asked for windows 8 integration and said they added it to their list but I have no clue as when it would be put in if it is.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Greg is right though offically older windows style apps sometimes become buggy in windows 8 or you need some special keyboard shortcut to go to desktop but its not guareenteed some apps will work like kinect.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by The Thinker Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:49 PM
  • we test on Win8 daily, we do not yet have full Metro or WinRT support within Win8.
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Monday, May 21, 2012 2:39 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Yes i thought it would work on windows 8 but any app that doesnt support WinRT but is an older app tends to not work correctly in some instances on windows 8.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:08 PM
  • You can try to create an application that works in background (e.x. minimized to tray). Kinect will stil recognize gestures and send request (for example send a key) to the application that is focused.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Yes he could but running the app wide open helps for determining errors during debug. I think todd and duncans answers explain it better because he could fixus but it would become non-efficent during debug.

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:39 PM
  • You might want to ask over on the Metro dev forums on the supported methods of interop with the desktop. As far as I know, there are none. A Metro application will not be approved for the store if is has any outside dependency or .dll.

This has been a feature request and the team is looking into it.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:39 PM
    Owner
  • I have a thread on windows 8 forum not for metro devs but the other support forum that their will be kinect support but I wonder how windows 8 marketplace will work since some scenarios currently call for third party dll files and no way out or around this? I mean some third party dlls have be used for forever mostly managed dlls but their are quite a few hard to code unmanaged stuff thats not possible to just "get rid of". But I thank you for pointing that out carmine.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Right now Windows 8 "Desktop" works, but not supported. A Metro applicaiton runs in a different environment and has a different deployment model.

As per the Kinect FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

What about Windows 8?

Since Windows 8 is not yet final, the Kinect for Windows support for Windows 8 is also not yet final and not ready for commercial deployments. At this time, the Kinect for Windows SDK version 1.5 works on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:23 PM
    Owner
  • Okay I thought that I should state correction to my above statement and that they are working on integrating it into OS or supporting it with the OS but you are right its not official carmine and todd (commerical deployment purposes). Hope I didnt confuse you op I did not mean its ready for commerical deployment for windows 8 yet but that support is available even though partial.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:37 PM