Expression in the Edit Tab RRS feed

All replies

• ??  The Edit tab of what?
    Monday, September 2, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Of Fire Fox or Internet Explorer
    • Edited by Solkeys Monday, September 2, 2013 4:24 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 4:23 PM
  • You would have to generate a new unique CLSID Key:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms691424(v=vs.85).aspx

for a new internet explorer extension and then create a menu extension for internet explorer in the registry.

You would then have to set the registry to perform the desired action using EW when selected

This is not a simple task. why not just open developer tools on the IE tools dropdown.

Expression Web MVP

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:17 PM
  • You can't edit a page you are looking at in a browser.  You don't have the rights to save it on the server from your browser.

What you can do is download a copy of the file (you have rights to do that, since you need to do that just to look at it in your browser), but even then, you are not editing the actual file, just your local copy.  And realize that editing one html file has no function other than as an exercise: it's not in a defined site to be managed or published by EW.  In short, it's not really useful.  The menu for this is not "Edit", but "File", in IE, where EW is an option.  You'd have to ask Firefox if they have a similar option.

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, September 2, 2013 6:23 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 6:18 PM
  • It may also be available (it is in my IE10) as an option under the "Page" icon on the Toolbar. When I click that icon, the dropdown shows, among other choices, "Edit with Microsoft Expression Web 4," same as what appears under the "File" menu. However, as Kathy says, that does nothing to the version on the remote server, since you are not logged in and cannot save the page back to the server.

It's basically handy for a first pass at answering questions here, since it allows you to basically View Source in EW, where its Compatibility Check can highlight syntax issues. It doesn't bring down content such as images or dynamic content, and is fairly limited. I still prefer using Firefox's WDT and Firebug, which offers much more power and flexibility, and the ability to make (volatile) in-place edits.

To my knowledge, there is no equivalent Edit command for Firefox, or for any other non-IE browser.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Thanks Ok I see it under page. Now how can I find out about Fire fox

• Edited by Solkeys Monday, September 2, 2013 7:18 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Thanks Ok I see it under page. Now how can I find out about Fire fox

AFAIK, as already stated, there is no equivalent built-in functionality for any other browser, including Firefox. However, if you google "firefox edit page," you will find a number of extensions with varying degrees of functionality. Chrome is also extensible, so there may possibly be plugins for that browser, as well. Again, as with IE, the problem is that the edits are volatile, and cannot be saved to the server.

This is a fundamental security issue—you simply cannot make permanent changes to a page without the necessary credentials. If you think about it, that would open up a real security can of worms. It is also a best practices issue, since it is considered best practice to always edit locally, test thoroughly, and only then publish changes up to the live server.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:17 PM