none
2007 outlook add in installed on outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have developed 2007 outlook add in its working fine in 2007 outlook. But when I install on a systam which has 2010 outlook its not working. its not all showing the add in. But it saying that successfully installed. Please help me on this.

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• If you can install using the VSTO deployment and not with an MSI then the possibility is very strong that you're not installing something that's required when you're using the MSI.

If the addin is actually running the only way to figure this out if you can't replicate the problems in debug mode would be to add extensive error logging and log entries or message box dialogs at various points in your code. Then you can narrow down the problem.

If everything's set up right an Outlook 2007 VSTO addin will run in Outlook 2010 as long as it's Outlook 2010 32-bit. A 2007 addin won't run x64 2010, but otherwise all my 2007 VSTO addins run OK (without an Explorer ribbon or Backstage support of course).

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:880a4b20-9b47-4a22-9a58-70abbfda7d18...

No, I am unable to see any add-in related UI in outlook 2010 and also there are no errors.

When I say installing directly, without the setup(.msi), I am installing VSTO deployment file.

Regards,

Venkat.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:06 PM

All replies

• Is the 2010 system 32 or 64 bit Outlook? Tell us more about your setup. What version of VS, of VSTO, of the Framework?

Does the addin show up in the addins list at all? If so is it showing as active, inactive or disabled?

Can your addin log or indicate if it was ever actually started?

If the addin indicates a load error when reviewed in the addins list, have you tried any Fusion debugging: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures.aspx

I have no problems running 2007 based addins on a 2010 system, so it certainly can be done.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:94d3900d-c0a9-4326-b028-0d44ee6b9972...

HI,

I have developed 2007 outlook add in its working fine in 2007 outlook. But when I install on a systam which has 2010 outlook its not working. its not all showing the add in. But it saying that successfully installed. Please help me on this.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Outlook 2010 - 32 bit version

Visual studio - 2008

version - 3.5

outlook add-in version - 2007

In outlook 2010 the add in is showing in the active add-ins. So that I can feel it is enabled. But I am not able to see any where this add-in.

Please let me know how to see this addin outlook 2010.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Please let me know if you need any further details.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:45 AM
  • What don't you see that the addin should be showing? If it's active it should be running.

Do you have any logging code or can you add a MessageBox or some other notification that the addin is actually running?

What do you expect to see? If you are using menus/toolbars as an interface UI in the folder views (Explorers) your UI will show up in Outlook 2010 in the Add-Ins tab, as it isn't using the ribbon interface used now for Explorers as well as for Inspectors.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:5bf01bf4-279a-4cc2-b08c-0c8a8e6e8386...

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Outlook 2010 - 32 bit version

Visual studio - 2008

version - 3.5

outlook add-in version - 2007

In outlook 2010 the add in is showing in the active add-ins. So that I can feel it is enabled. But I am not able to see any where this add-in.

Please let me know how to see this addin outlook 2010.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:51 PM
  • My addin functionality is to add a combobox and a button where user able to type and submit.

Now, I have put two message boxes at the start and ending of ThisAddIn_Startup method.

These message boxes are appearing in outlook 2007 but not in 2010.

What would be the issue.

I have used the below objects for this add-in please let me know whether the below ones work on outlook 2010?

//declares the object commandBar
            Office.CommandBar commandBar;
            //declares
            Office.CommandBarComboBox mTCVoiceSubjectCmb;
            Office.CommandBarButton mTCVoiceGetUpdatesButton;

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:48 AM
  • In Outlook 2010 your command bars UI will be shown in the AddIns tab and not the ribbon, as I said before. You need to provide ribbon support if you don't want that. However, that won't prevent the code from running. It will just make it hard to find your UI.

If the MessgeBox's aren't appearing at all then it's a good bet your code isn't running and that there's a load error. If you check the Addins tab in the File menu do you see your addin in the active, inactive or disabled lists? If inactive it's a good bet that you aren't deploying something needed for your code to run. That could be a dependent assembly or dll, or a PIA or some other requirement or prerequisite.

I think you need to do some Fusion logging and debugging. Fusion is the managed code loader. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures.aspx for more information on that and other debugging.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:68e76de7-0cb9-47b9-bdf2-ccb450523330...

My addin functionality is to add a combobox and a button where user able to type and submit.

Now, I have put two message boxes at the start and ending of ThisAddIn_Startup method.

These message boxes are appearing in outlook 2007 but not in 2010.

What would be the issue.

I have used the below objects for this add-in please let me know whether the below ones work on outlook 2010?

//declares the object commandBar
            Office.CommandBar commandBar;
            //declares
            Office.CommandBarComboBox mTCVoiceSubjectCmb;
            Office.CommandBarButton mTCVoiceGetUpdatesButton;

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:38 PM
  • I have added the message boxes and those are showing only in 2007. But these are not showing in 2010. Please confirm me whether 2007 add-in will work in outlook 2010 or not?
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Latest update : When I install the direct outlook add in instead of package(msi) then the message boxes are coming. Now I could say that the start event is firing successfully. But the add in not displaying at all.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Yes. Outlook 2007 addins will run in Outlook 2010. They won't support any new features such as the Explorer ribbons, at least without special handling, but they absolutely will run. I've written and run probably a couple of dozen Outlook 2007 addins that are running also in 2010.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:a3645aa3-a532-4d33-adcc-ee9dc17ad0d9...
    I have added the message boxes and those are showing only in 2007. But these are not showing in 2010. Please confirm me whether 2007 add-in will work in outlook 2010 or not?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:44 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by installing directly as opposed to using an MSI.

If your message boxes are showing the addin is running. At least it starts up. I still don't understand what you mean by it isn't showing anything. If your addin is creating user interface in Explorers the UI is now being shown, or should be, in the Add-Ins tab as there is no CommandBars interface for Explorers any longer. Other than that if your addin stops running after startup that would usually indicate some exception, but only you can debug that.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:336e151b-87c4-4c5c-af24-2e6b452753b3...
    Latest update : When I install the direct outlook add in instead of package(msi) then the message boxes are coming. Now I could say that the start event is firing successfully. But the add in not displaying at all.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:44 PM
  • I have developed this add-in using VS 2008 and this developer machine is having oUtlook 2007. So I could debug using OutLook2007. But the user machine is using Outlook 2010. So I can not debug in 2010 because I can only install on this machine.

In my add-in I have used commandbar, where I am adding combobox and button as UI. These commandbar is appearing in Outlook 2007. But not showing this UI in Outlook 2010. But installed and executed successfully in Outlook 2010.

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:24 AM
  • You are still not answering my questions.

As I said before, Outlook 2010 does not have Explorer command bars any longer. Anything you create with those interfaces will not show up in the ribbon except under the Add-Ins tab. Is your user interface showing up there? If so, you need to provide ribbon controls and not use command bar controls for your Explorer UI.

If that's not what you mean by saying the UI is not showing up, then please explain what you do mean. Is any of the UI you create showing up at all? Are you getting any exceptions when you create your command bars UI?

You also didn't explain what you meant by saying that you can install directly but not using an MSI.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:059cb29e-eb53-4ff2-b043-baf57a71f572...

I have developed this add-in using VS 2008 and this developer machine is having oUtlook 2007. So I could debug using OutLook2007. But the user machine is using Outlook 2010. So I can not debug in 2010 because I can only install on this machine.

In my add-in I have used commandbar, where I am adding combobox and button as UI. These commandbar is appearing in Outlook 2007. But not showing this UI in Outlook 2010. But installed and executed successfully in Outlook 2010.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:11 PM
  • No, I am unable to see any add-in related UI in outlook 2010 and also there are no errors.

When I say installing directly, without the setup(.msi), I am installing VSTO deployment file.

Regards,

Venkat.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:18 AM
  • If you can install using the VSTO deployment and not with an MSI then the possibility is very strong that you're not installing something that's required when you're using the MSI.

If the addin is actually running the only way to figure this out if you can't replicate the problems in debug mode would be to add extensive error logging and log entries or message box dialogs at various points in your code. Then you can narrow down the problem.

If everything's set up right an Outlook 2007 VSTO addin will run in Outlook 2010 as long as it's Outlook 2010 32-bit. A 2007 addin won't run x64 2010, but otherwise all my 2007 VSTO addins run OK (without an Explorer ribbon or Backstage support of course).

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Venkatesh Basi" <=?utf-8?B?VmVua2F0ZXNoIEJhc2k=?=> wrote in message news:880a4b20-9b47-4a22-9a58-70abbfda7d18...

No, I am unable to see any add-in related UI in outlook 2010 and also there are no errors.

Regards,

Venkat.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:06 PM