problem getting online help RRS feed

• Question

• This is regarding Visual Studio 2005 team suite trial version.
    In my help options I have chosen "try online first, then local". In spite of that I keep getting the message

"
    You have chosen to use local Help only for Search and F1 results, and the topic could not be found in local Help."

when I try getting help by pressing F1. If I search I find help on the subject on MSDN. It seems the search for help is always local no matter what options I try. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong???
    Friday, November 11, 2005 9:07 AM

Answers

• Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you try the following:
    1) In the VS IDE, go to Tools->Options | Environment | Help | Online
    2) Ensure the "Try online first, then local" radio button is chosen
    3) Also ensure that everything is checked in the "Search these providers" listbox
    4) In the VS IDE, choose Help->Search
    5) Search for some term such as "integer"

On the right side of the Search toolwindow, do you see tabs labeled MSDN Online, Codezone, and Questions?  Or do you just see one tab labeled Local Help?

Thanks!
    Jeremy Jones
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 5:11 PM

All replies

• I just tried a clean install of VSTS 2005, without installing MSDN, and the "online first" help scenario works as expected.

What is the build number of the VSTS that you are using, and are you using the VS2005 MSDN or the Oct. 2005 MSDN?

Michael Blome
    Visual C# Documentation Manager
    Friday, November 11, 2005 7:21 PM
  • Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you try the following:
    1) In the VS IDE, go to Tools->Options | Environment | Help | Online
    2) Ensure the "Try online first, then local" radio button is chosen
    3) Also ensure that everything is checked in the "Search these providers" listbox
    4) In the VS IDE, choose Help->Search
    5) Search for some term such as "integer"

On the right side of the Search toolwindow, do you see tabs labeled MSDN Online, Codezone, and Questions?  Or do you just see one tab labeled Local Help?

Thanks!
    Jeremy Jones
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 5:11 PM