Filtering data based on a users membership of multiple groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been puzzling over this one for a few days and thought I would ask the experts.

I am trying to filter data in a preprocess query against any of the sales territories that may be associated with a salesperson. The key being that the salesperson will certainly have more than one territory.

I have succeeded in filtering data based on a single membership using the excellent walkthrough provided by Richard Waddell

Dim person As SalesPerson = (From persons In Me.DataWorkspace.ApplicationData.SalesPersons Where persons.UserName = Application.Current.User.Name).FirstOrDefault()

Dim salesTeamId As Integer = If(person Is Nothing, -1, person.SalesTeam.Id)

query = From theSales In query Where theSales.SalesTeam.Id = salesTeamId

This works brilliantly however I want to broaden this. I have created a Territory table (Containing 'North', 'South' etc) and a Sales_Person_Territory table which captures the territories associated with the individual user.

Each sale is related also to the territory table and so each sale will have a single territory

The linq query i need to create would therefore filter the sales based on the territorys of the sale and whether those were in the Sales_Person_Territory list for that particular Sales person

I have tried several approaches none of which have been successful. I would have thought that this kind of filtering is a pretty common need for Lightswitch. Could anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

• Edited by edcredagas Friday, October 10, 2014 3:54 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 3:49 PM

Answers

• Please be careful and double check syntax (and logic structure) cause I'm coding manually without your tables.

In your Sales pre-process query, after retrieved salesTeamId you could do something like this

Dim idTerritoriesIn = (From t In Territories
         Where t.SalesTeams.Any(Function(st) st.SalesTeam.Id = salesTeamId)
         Select t.Id).Execute.ToArray

query = query.Where(Function(s) idTerritoriesIn.Contains(s.Territory.Id))
    Hope this helps.

Marco

• Marked as answer by edcredagas Monday, October 13, 2014 4:45 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:07 AM

All replies

• Please be careful and double check syntax (and logic structure) cause I'm coding manually without your tables.

In your Sales pre-process query, after retrieved salesTeamId you could do something like this

Dim idTerritoriesIn = (From t In Territories
         Where t.SalesTeams.Any(Function(st) st.SalesTeam.Id = salesTeamId)

query = query.Where(Function(s) idTerritoriesIn.Contains(s.Territory.Id))
    Hope this helps.

Marco

• Marked as answer by edcredagas Monday, October 13, 2014 4:45 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Awsome, thanks Marco, i will give it a try.
    Monday, October 13, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Hi Marco,

With a bit of tweaking that worked a treat. The finished code is below for reference. I had planned to abandon the concept of team in favour of the many to many relationships of salesperson and territory so:

'Populate an array of territory ids where the the previously identified salesTeamID is equal to the sales
                Dim idTerritoriesIn = (From t In SalesTerritories
                     Where t.SalesPersonTerritories.Any(Function(st) st.SalesPerson.Id = person.Id)

'return sales where territory is in the array idTerritoriesIn

query = query.Where(Function(s) idTerritoriesIn.Contains(s.SalesTerritory.Id))

However by keeping team in your example I realise that I can change the relationships to map territories to teams and that way map the relationships in two stages making management far easier.

Dim idTerritoriesIn = (From t In SalesTerritories
                Where t.SalesPersonTerritories.Any(Function(st) st.SalesTeam.Id = salesTeamId)

Either way this solves my problem and makes RLS in lightswitch far more appropriate to my own business need than the  = Application.User.Name examples that I have been finding.

Thank you very much

James

Monday, October 13, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Thanks James for your confirmation.

Glad it helped.

Marco

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:43 PM