get ipad identity with user agent or else or makeweb site different? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1037850001 posted

Hi

like many others.. i can't get the info if my website is on  a ipad with user agent like before

do i have to use something special... i searched for 3 days.  Everything found is not working

or do i have to make my websites different?

thanks

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:59 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

This really depends on what you are trying to do _with_ the User Agent or knowing that the user is accessing your application with an iPad. If it's purely a matter of styling, then the rest of my response below should relate. If not, I'd be curious what your use case was as there may be a better way to approach the problem.

like many others.. i can't get the info if my website is on  a ipad with user agent like before

User agents can generally be pretty unreliable and shouldn't really be used as an "end-all, be-all" metric for determining what your content should look like. This is where things like feature detection (e.g. checking if your browser supports some specific functionality) are useful, as well as taking advantage of things like Media Queries within CSS to help ensure that your site is responsive regardless of what it's accessed on.

You can also consider using a responsive framework like Bootstrap or one of the countless others to help you build your site in a responsive way.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:08 PM
  • User-1037850001 posted

hi

Thanks for the answer

This really depends on what you are trying to do _with_ the User Agent 

I just want to know if it is a tablet... with android.. it is still working but not with ipad anymore as you might know

why? because i don't like response design.. i find it not so beautiful on smartphone so i make 3 codes... one for mac and pc, one for tablets and one for smartphone

Maybe using useragent is not the good way.. but it worked for years until apple changed some new ipad useragent without the word ipad

so... how can i found out that it is an ipad because as i said... it is still working with android talbet?

thanks

Thursday, March 12, 2020 4:18 PM
  • User1535942433 posted

Hi peter_zarzour,

so... how can i found out that it is an ipad because as i said... it is still working with android talbet?

Accroding to your description,as far as I think, every Mobile devices have their own user agent.The ipad user agent is Mac OS in recent 10 years.You could use user agent string to detect an iPad user.

More details,you could refer to below articles:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4617638/detect-ipad-users-using-jquery

Ipad user-agent string:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2153877/what-is-the-ipad-user-agent/56923008#56923008

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Friday, March 13, 2020 2:58 AM
  • User-1037850001 posted

hi

sorry to tell you that but it's been i don't know how long this is not working anymore

this is why i write here!

thanks anyway

Friday, March 13, 2020 5:15 PM
  • User1535942433 posted

Hi peter_zarzour,

peter_zarzour

sorry to tell you that but it's been i don't know how long this is not working anymore

Accroding to your description,I cann't understand your requirment clearly.

Do you have the problem?Could you tell us more details about your issue?It will help us to solve your problem.

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:11 AM
  • User-1037850001 posted

hi

how to explain more than what i did?

before. we looked the user agent and there was the word ipad in it

now, apple took it away for new ipad versions

i need to know if it is an ipad because i code my websites with 3 coding

pc and mac

ipad and android tablet

and smartphone

i don't like the automatic responsive design

so please help me find a way to know if the user is on an ipad even if it is a new version

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:51 AM
  • User475983607 posted

peter_zarzour

hi

how to explain more than what i did?

before. we looked the user agent and there was the word ipad in it

now, apple took it away for new ipad versions

i need to know if it is an ipad because i code my websites with 3 coding

pc and mac

ipad and android tablet

and smartphone

i don't like the automatic responsive design

so please help me find a way to know if the user is on an ipad even if it is a new version

You are in the wrong support forum.  Contact Apple/iPad support as ASP.NET does not dictate the HTTP request format from an iPad.  ASP.NET just reads what the user agent sends.  

IMHO, your feelings on responsive design is irrelevant.  One of the reasons web sites went to a responsive design (media queries) is because the user-agent has never been reliable.  Back in the browser wars, browsers would trick server code to expose new features from the other browsers using the user-agent.  

I'm sorry to tell ya that technology moved and you have to make a decision.  Either go with the flow or dig your heels in and resist change.  Anyway, Apple support might be able to provide a string pattern that identifies an iPad.  

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 12:17 PM