key created by user in the registry gets deleted when cold boot the windows CE RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have developed a project in windows CE 5.0 in CF2.0 using C# .net, and created a cab project with a registry key entry at the time of installation. I am able to install the project successfully with a registry key but when i cold boot the device the registry key gets deleted.

Please suggest me any solution to solve this problem. i want the registry key be there after cold boot.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:10 AM

Answers

• If your device does not have persistent storage (common on CE) everything is stored in RAM. Since RAM content is lost on cold boot everything you added or changed is lost as well. 

You would need to replace all your device with the model with persistent store. Since that is usually not feasible you would need to recreate all the information needed on each cold boot instead (e.g. re-install all your CAB files).

Call device OEM to confirm if device does not have persistent storage (for either files or registry) and to find our which hooks they provide for running your code on cold boot.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Erwin Zwart Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by RB Sharma Friday, April 19, 2013 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:11 PM

All replies

• If your device does not have persistent storage (common on CE) everything is stored in RAM. Since RAM content is lost on cold boot everything you added or changed is lost as well. 

You would need to replace all your device with the model with persistent store. Since that is usually not feasible you would need to recreate all the information needed on each cold boot instead (e.g. re-install all your CAB files).

Call device OEM to confirm if device does not have persistent storage (for either files or registry) and to find our which hooks they provide for running your code on cold boot.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Erwin Zwart Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by RB Sharma Friday, April 19, 2013 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for support.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 12:59 PM