How do I print a huge diagram of many tables in ssms RRS feed

• Question

• I have many tables, and I just want to print the relationships between them.  The ones without foreign keys to primary key relations are irrelevant.  I made a diagram of all tables in sql server management studio, and it shows the key relations, but its a very large diagram horizontally and vertically.  Is there a way to print the whole thing so that it doesn't take endless pages that I don't know how to piece together?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• From my experience a 'Plotter' is what you're looking for. Quite expensive though. Can range between 1-2 thousand dollars but definitely gets the job done. The issue without using a plotter is you can scale the image down but then it is not readable. Right now the best way may be to leave it as an html, vsd, or jpg.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2710

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:32 PM
  • Within the diagram, do a Copy Diagram to Clipboard from the edit menu, and then paste into a new Microsoft Word document. From there, you can scale the drawing as you wish.

If you have a printer capable of printing to 11 x 17 paper, this works well. I have been able to print schemas with 30 tables this way onto a single page, and the table objects are very nearly actual size.

____

Set the page zoom level on the print properties page (in addition to setting the page size to A3).

Switching back to the diagram with 'View Page Breaks' selected will show you when you have all the tables positioned properly onto one page.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

For possible solutions, please read the following resource:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1039774/printing-sql-server-diagrams-from-sql-server-management-studio-express

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:30 PM