Any plan regarding drivers on ARM?

Question

• Hi,

I've developed a Metro app which interacts with a UMDF driver.. now I see that I'm able (with Visual Studio 2012RC) to develop for ARM platform.

When I try to build the driver on that target (ARM) the compiler still shouts 'error MSB4057: The target "Build" does not exist in the project.'

When (if in your roadmap) will you allow us developers to create drivers for WOA...???

Regards,

Julien

Julien Racle

Friday, June 29, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• Windows RT products are delivered complete with firmware, drivers and accessories. Developer focus for Windows RT is Metro style apps, not desktop apps or drivers.  Metro style apps can leverage sensors and other devices for which there are built in class drivers exposed through the WinRT APIs.

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:44 PM

All replies

• Windows RT products are delivered complete with firmware, drivers and accessories. Developer focus for Windows RT is Metro style apps, not desktop apps or drivers.  Metro style apps can leverage sensors and other devices for which there are built in class drivers exposed through the WinRT APIs.

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Thanks Eric,

I understand that.. even if my company (as many others) get frustrated not to be able to bring support for their devices on ARM (which is IMHO by far the best proc. for tablets at the moment). You could at least have allowed it.. which would have differentiated MSFT from Apple for instance..

My company makes user input devices for a while, indeed supported natively through HID on ARM. But when it comes to access custom (vendor) interfaces, we are stuck now.. too bad..

Julien Racle

Monday, July 09, 2012 8:22 PM