none
Any idea regarding generic UI from Business logic RRS feed

• Question

• Any idea regarding for such a framework or design for User Interface in which we can generate UI from Business logic.(it could be for desktop or web based application)

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:10 AM

Answers

•  Kamii47 wrote:

Any idea regarding for such a framework or design for User Interface in which we can generate UI from Business logic.(it could be for desktop or web based application)

Funny you should ask!

I'm actually working on a pretty ambitious project that leverages the DSL tools to allow a person to generate everything from the data layer up (including stubs for custom business logic) using MDA. Of course, that framework is a ways off but if you're interested in following along with the progress, send me an email.

If you look at the mygeneration tool (it's a code generator that is driven from a database schema), there are a few templates that attempt to create basic UIs (Create, Read, Update, delete functionality) from the db schema. My framework and designer will be much more ambitious than that. But I believe that mygeneration will give you a good start. (www.mygeneration.com I believe).

Good luck,

Michael

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:47 AM
  • Take a look at Naked Objects http://www.nakedobjects.org/ 

Arnon

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:21 PM
  • Back in Beta 1 (after PDC 2000), I built a class that could take any object, look at the meta data found using reflection, and generate a simple UI with the properties (Type.GetProperties Method (BindingFlags)) of the object as fields. This code assumed you had simple data types, and each object had an interface for crud (we used inheritance). There were a few extras added, such as attributes for data constraints (nullable, can be empty, etc...), but that was because the classes were built with this in mind.

Try this URL for some help with reflection.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kyaxdd3x.aspx

Hope that helps...

Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:16 PM

All replies

•  Kamii47 wrote:

Any idea regarding for such a framework or design for User Interface in which we can generate UI from Business logic.(it could be for desktop or web based application)

Funny you should ask!

I'm actually working on a pretty ambitious project that leverages the DSL tools to allow a person to generate everything from the data layer up (including stubs for custom business logic) using MDA. Of course, that framework is a ways off but if you're interested in following along with the progress, send me an email.

If you look at the mygeneration tool (it's a code generator that is driven from a database schema), there are a few templates that attempt to create basic UIs (Create, Read, Update, delete functionality) from the db schema. My framework and designer will be much more ambitious than that. But I believe that mygeneration will give you a good start. (www.mygeneration.com I believe).

Good luck,

Michael

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:47 AM
  • Take a look at Naked Objects http://www.nakedobjects.org/ 

Arnon

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:21 PM
  • Back in Beta 1 (after PDC 2000), I built a class that could take any object, look at the meta data found using reflection, and generate a simple UI with the properties (Type.GetProperties Method (BindingFlags)) of the object as fields. This code assumed you had simple data types, and each object had an interface for crud (we used inheritance). There were a few extras added, such as attributes for data constraints (nullable, can be empty, etc...), but that was because the classes were built with this in mind.

Try this URL for some help with reflection.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kyaxdd3x.aspx

Hope that helps...

Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:16 PM
  • This topic has been abandoned but there were some great ideas provided and since the question asked for ideas, I've marked them as answers.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:58 AM