dbmail attachments & sysadmin RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to send an email with an attachment via sp_send_dbmail with a user that lacks sysadmin rights, no email is sent.

If I try to send the same email from a user that has sysadmin rights, the email and attachment are sent.

The attachment is located on another machine. If I put the attachment on the SQL Server's local hard drive, the user does not require the sysadmin role.

Has Microsoft fixed this? Or does anyone know a workaround without have to store the attachment locally and the user not having to be a sysadmin?

fredmccarter@chally.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Have you tried to create a SQL server proxy account with a domain account that has access to the network share/resources ? Normally the users with sysadmin access will impersonate the SQL services account and non-sysadmin users cannot and that’s the instance where the proxy account is useful.

Thanks, Leks
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:33 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Please try giving the non-sysadmin user "execute" permission on msdb

Pradeep Adiga
    My blog: http://www.sqldbadiaries.com
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hi ,

Have you tried to create a SQL server proxy account with a domain account that has access to the network share/resources ? Normally the users with sysadmin access will impersonate the SQL services account and non-sysadmin users cannot and that’s the instance where the proxy account is useful.

Thanks, Leks
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:33 AM
    Answerer