Storage Account File Share - Too many files? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any indication if there is a limit to how many files you can realistically store in a folder on an Azure Storage Account File Share before you get performance issues?

I have a folder with 10,000 files in it which has been mounted to a linux VM. Both in the same region. When I do an "ls" it just goes off into limbo whilst fetching the file list.

Friday, October 6, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

• You may check the Storage Account File Share limits:

For more details, refer “Storage limits”.

Note: Use ls -1 -f to show the files immediately.

Why the ls command hangs?

The “ls” command, by default, will sort its output. To do that, it must first slurp the name of every file into memory. Confronted with a very large directory, it will sit there, reading in file names, and taking up more and more memory until eventually listing the files all at once, in alphanumerical order.

On the other hand, ls -1 -f does not perform any sorting. It just reads the directory and displays files immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, October 6, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for your response. There are actually two issues, the first is with "ls", which you have covered. The second is that this share is used with an SFTP server I'm running. When you log in the server never gets past listing the files in the directory.   

Doing "ls -1 -f" as you suggested, the program lists maybe the first 100 files and then hangs. Is there an reason for this?

The following error appears in dmesg when I do an ls

CIFS VFS: only big read responses are supported

• Edited by CJ-Anthony Saturday, October 7, 2017 12:32 PM
    Saturday, October 7, 2017 12:27 PM
  • For a deeper analysis of this issue, I would suggest you open a support ticket as described in this link How to create an Azure support request. The ticket will help you work closely with the support for speedy resolution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 6:52 PM