none
BeforetemMove Event Not Firing when Quick Steps Used to Move an Item to another folder. RRS feed

• Question

• In Outlook 2010, the BeforeItemMove Event does not fire if a user uses the Quick Steps function in the Outlook UI to Move an Item to another folder. Is this an oversight/bug or is there another way to trap this?

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I can reproduce your issue on my side. I will consult some experts for this issue to see whether they can solved it. There might be some time delay, appreciate for you patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Hi Jim,

This is not really an oversight or a bug. Quick Steps are basically rules that operate on the server side (although some rules can be client-side, depending on the action that is being done). Moving messages will occur server-side, so basically the item never hits the Inbox as far as Outlook is concerned.

For incoming messages, I'm pretty sure you can use the NewMailEx event and my recollection is that it will still fire even for messages that are being moved by a rule (which a quick test confirms, but I didn't test all rules).

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Bill, I am confused - how is this possible?

Quick steps definitions are stored in a hidden message. A quick step is invoked *locally* when a user clicks on a button. Unlike a rule, a quick stpeis triggered by an explicit user action (click) and the sequence of steps is executed by Outlook, not the server.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.3 is now available!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hi Bill,

BeforeItemMove() isn't firing in a PST profile. It is firing when I moved something manually, but not with a quick step. I tested it with some OL VBA code.

The custom action is stored locally in a hidden item in IPM_SUBTREE with a MessageClass of "IPM.Microsoft.CustomAction". No server involved :)

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Bill Ja - MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?QmlsbCBKYSAtIE1TRlQ=?=> wrote in message news:a7abe4c5-e291-40d4-a18f-7baeb0017b42...

Hi Jim,

This is not really an oversight or a bug. Quick Steps are basically rules that operate on the server side (although some rules can be client-side, depending on the action that is being done). Moving messages will occur server-side, so basically the item never hits the Inbox as far as Outlook is concerned.

For incoming messages, I'm pretty sure you can use the NewMailEx event and my recollection is that it will still fire even for messages that are being moved by a rule (which a quick test confirms, but I didn't test all rules).

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Sorry, my mistake, I was under the wrong presumption (you can probably guess I don't use Quick Steps myself). This is all client-side so it appears to be another missed case where BeforeItemMove does not fire (much like the various other ones that were fixed 1.5 years ago).

Jim, probably the best option here would be for you to open a support incident so we can investigate this further in terms of whether or not it can be fixed. I'd consider this a bug, so if there's a charge for the incident up-front, you'd be refunded in the end.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Bill

Dimtry and Ken beat me to the response but yes, we are all on the same page now. I will open a support incident and post the ID in this thread when done.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:25 PM
  • A support request has been raised. The Support Request Number is 112083046782912.

Regards

Jim

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I know this is old but was this ever fixed?? I'm having the same issue and I don't see a work around. Pls help!
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Yes it was. It was released as a hot fix.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:08 AM
  • Thanks Jim. Do you have a link to it? I can't seem to locate it.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Dinesh

Here you go: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760764

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Jim Nolan 24 Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:25 PM