mysterious relinking RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: In MSVC IDE 8.0, in a project that is not using .NET (but using MFC).

I have a solution with a few different vcproj in it. If I hit F7, then they all build and link just fine. If I hit F7 again immediately, then one of the projects relinks. In fact, I can hit F7 repeatedly, and only this one project keeps relinking.

Is there any way to get a "noisy compile", where I could get detailed info on what dependancies the IDE is looking at to decide a project is out of date?

If I could figure out which file is triggering it, I could probably figure out why.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 8:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• That's usually caused by either some outside application modifying / accessing some of the intermediate files. The most likely cause is the modification dates+times on the files. Try cleaning and rebuilding your solution, then verify that the dates aren't "in the future".
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 10:00 PM
  • This may be the same issue that was brought up in a previous thread.  I don't know if Microsoft fixed it or closed it because it couldn't be reproduced:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=397255&SiteID=1

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=109066

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 2:14 PM
  • Yeah, I'd seen a few similar problems, but I didn't see any solutions. The link you posted had a clue that it is in the manifest file, so I changed the link to not create a manifest and the problem went away.

So then I looked in the intermediate directory and noticed that I had three files:

MyProj.dll.embed.manifest

MyProj.dll.embed.manifest.res

MyProj.dll.intermediate.manifest

The last of those files had the current time (I had just built), but the other files were older. I deleted the three files and the problem appears to have gone away (for now).

Thanks! I knew that if I could figure out which file MSVC thought was out of date that I could make some progress.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:33 PM