none
"Upgrade Visual Studio" notification to upgrade to Enterprise with VS Professional account

Question

• Several members of my team noticed a notification in Visual Studio Professional 2015 indicating that they should upgrade to Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 because they are licensed for it.

However, we currently have a Visual Studio Professional license so I was confused by this. Are we now receiving nag-ads from Visual Studio or is there another reason we're suddenly eligible for the upgrade?

• Edited by M.Babcock Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

could you provide more information how you are licensed? If you have a Visual Studio Subscription (MSDN subscription) you could check the subscription at https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/manage

The message simply means, that Visual Studio checked the license status and found that your account has a Enterprise License attached to it but it was checking a professional version. 

The link behind that message might also be helpful - there could be some more data behind, too.

And maybe the customer service center might help, too. For Visual Studio Subscriptions, the Customer Service Centers for the different regions can be found here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:31 AM
  • I've had the same message, I've checked with the first link you provided and my license is for VS Professional. My license is one of the 3 licenses we received with Microsoft Action Pack Subscription.

Thanks for the help,

Nicola

Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have had the same message within 2 separate instances of Visual Studio Professional 2015 linked to my account. My account is only an MSDN Professional one, and I did re-check by signing in to MSDN Subscription Downloads to verify that Enterprise is not permitted for my MSDN account.

Looks like a false-positive check for the notifications.

HTH

Björn

Edit - the link that you get taken to (whether I am signed in or not) is: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Same here. And when you dismiss it. It keeps coming back. That big purple nag is distracting and annoying.

[EDIT]

Clicking "Check for an updated license" in VS and then following the prompts fixed the issue for me.

-C. Moya

• Edited by CMOYA Friday, May 20, 2016 7:18 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Help -> Register Product -> Check for an updated license

This does make it go away, but if you re-press it the notification comes back in. Again this makes no difference if you need to refresh your credentials or not. The false-positive notification appears.

• Proposed as answer by Beau Claar Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:10 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 7:56 PM
  • Hi Björn Ahlstedt,

Since this thread was closed for a few days, would you please open a new case in this forum? So we will follow up your new thread in time.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:41 AM
  • ...yep this fixed for me as well.  On 2017 Pro.

Keep math information free...it's the great equalizer.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:11 PM