none
chkdsk /f running for three days now on windows xp laptop RRS feed

• Question

• My customer brought her laptop to me with a blue screen problem. After eliminating driver issues I began to focus on the HDD. After reading several forums regarding blue screens I decided to try doing a chkdsk /f (having first back'ed up her user folders...) I turned it loose and it took right off after the reboot. It stopped at stage 2 at the 26% mark and has been there for nearly three days now. I have read that with a large drive chkdsk could take days to complete, but there is NO change at all. I can clearly hear the drive chugging away, and judging from the sounds it is performing some data reads and writes as the sounds vary. (As in there is no click...click..click going on like the drive is shot).  My question is simple, how long should this be allowed to continue? Should the percentage of task completion be moving up?  If I kill it now, will the drive be completely toast?  When should I call in Gibson?

thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you have see some performance issues before as well.
    Your description match with the possibility that the harddrive nor the hdd controller is damaged.
    I think you should replace the harddrive.
    My personal expirions with using chkdsk is:

The longest successful chkdsk run which I see in the past was ~4 hours for rebuilding some index value etc.

Please don't try to run "xbootmgr -trace boot" on this machine ;).

BR

• Proposed as answer by RPA601SG Friday, August 26, 2011 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:04 PM