TFS 2013 - Change another users display name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in a situation where we have a duplicate displayname in the system by accident.

a new user in our team has the same name of another user once in the company, with a disabled account.
    when adding the new user to the system the wrong username was used, the new user as 01 at the end which we missed.

So by adding the wrong user once, TFS now knows him and both users are in the system.

I dont believe there is a way to remove an identity right ?

Is there a way i can change the display name of the wrong user to something else so it doesnt show up in the search results ?

When the new user is invited for a code review the inviting user gets a warning that there is a duplicate user account and 1 of them does not have permissions. 

Is there a way i can fix this as admin ? i dont want the correct user to have to change his display name.

looking forward to your reply.

Nico

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:58 AM

All replies

• please take a look at the TFSConfig Tool https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/command-line/tfsconfig-cmd#identities and the identities switch
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Thanks Kim, I have looked at that tool, but I don't see how it can help me change the display name.

I can use it to change the username, but that is not what I want.

How to change the display name ?

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:23 AM
  • I guess the old user is not in AD anymore. You can change the displayname in the configuration DB, but that is not a supported way. A workaround is to map the old useraccount with the tool to a dummy user in AD that has the new displayname.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Actually its still in the AD as disabled user.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the steps to change a TFS display name:

1. In TFS web page, choose My Profile.

2.change the display name.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:22 AM
  • yes that part I know, but we are not able to logon as that user anymore.

As an admin I want to be able to change someone else's displayname.

Friday, October 7, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

Could you change the display name from your AD and it will sync to TFS after sometime.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 7, 2016 8:34 AM