none
New EDI versions/releases RRS feed

• Question

• R2 has a great list of supported schemas out of the box but what are Microsoft's plans regarding EDIFACT and X12 schemas not currently supplied, such as the latest versions ? Can new schemas be requested or will a utility be provide for generating them ?

For schemas that have not changed (much) an existing schemas could be manually modified but for new message types this process is very error prone, especially for EDIFACT as the X12 naming convention is used for element nodes.

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:36 AM

Answers

• Very few EDI users migrate to later versions/releases of messages in use. Therefore the request for messages based on the newer versions/standard will typically be for new BizTalk users and or projects. This implies that the implementors will require the specific message(s) asap to avoid delaying the project or poc. As such, waiting for a service pack may not be a valid option. Also, not everyone will require ALL the messages so I would suggest the option to download the required version/release from a central location (msdn ??) would be the easiest. 

I assume Microsoft have some form of internal utility to generate the schemas from the electronic versions supplied by the standards organizations. If so, it should be fairly easy to generate new scheams as and when they become available or at least within a couple of days of a request being made. Alternatively, the utility could be made available to implementors ("PowerToys for R2" ??).

By all means document and publish details about the schemas but as for sharing with other users, that should be treated with caution. Given that these structures can be very long and complex many developers will only test those portions used by their clients/application. Errors are not always obvious and identifying them can be time consuming

especially for someone without an EDI background.

regards Richard

Thursday, August 9, 2007 7:55 AM
  • We are still working out our plans on how to ship schema updates and what the best release vehicle for them would be. I would love to hear your thoughts as well as those from other customers and partners as to how you would like to see this happen.

1. How frequently do you think updates need to be shipped?

2. How would you like to see them delivered? MSDN download? Service Pack? Other thoughts?

3. Would you like to see Microsoft publish documentation regarding our schema annotations and custom data types so that the community could develop new versions more effectively and share them with one another?

Let us know what you think.

thanks,

Tony

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:58 PM

All replies

• We are still working out our plans on how to ship schema updates and what the best release vehicle for them would be. I would love to hear your thoughts as well as those from other customers and partners as to how you would like to see this happen.

1. How frequently do you think updates need to be shipped?

2. How would you like to see them delivered? MSDN download? Service Pack? Other thoughts?

3. Would you like to see Microsoft publish documentation regarding our schema annotations and custom data types so that the community could develop new versions more effectively and share them with one another?

Let us know what you think.

thanks,

Tony

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Very few EDI users migrate to later versions/releases of messages in use. Therefore the request for messages based on the newer versions/standard will typically be for new BizTalk users and or projects. This implies that the implementors will require the specific message(s) asap to avoid delaying the project or poc. As such, waiting for a service pack may not be a valid option. Also, not everyone will require ALL the messages so I would suggest the option to download the required version/release from a central location (msdn ??) would be the easiest. 

I assume Microsoft have some form of internal utility to generate the schemas from the electronic versions supplied by the standards organizations. If so, it should be fairly easy to generate new scheams as and when they become available or at least within a couple of days of a request being made. Alternatively, the utility could be made available to implementors ("PowerToys for R2" ??).

By all means document and publish details about the schemas but as for sharing with other users, that should be treated with caution. Given that these structures can be very long and complex many developers will only test those portions used by their clients/application. Errors are not always obvious and identifying them can be time consuming

especially for someone without an EDI background.

regards Richard

Thursday, August 9, 2007 7:55 AM
  • Hi There,

Where can i find a detailed list of all X12 documents supported under R2?  I only see a list outlining the total quantity of documents for each version.

Thanks.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:46 PM