Monitor turned off after 20 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a very weird problem in our kernel where it always turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. I changed the power management settings under ACPI Multiprocessor PC component to PRESENTATION. It seems that this problem only happening in minlogon and never happens on winlogon component.

Does anyone know how to fix this one? or is there any other component that I have to include?

Your advice are appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Tony

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Guys,

I managed to get around this problem by writing a small application which modify power management settings, than create a component for it with FBA generic command.

It fixed the problem and the monitor always stays on.

Thank you for all your help.

Best Regards,
    Tony
    • Marked as answer by Tony Mulia Monday, November 30, 2009 10:33 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:32 PM

All replies

• "Turn off monitor after 20 minutes" appears to be characteristic of the "Always On" scheme. You can check the following registry key to know the current power policy

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg
    Value Name: CurrentPowerPolicy
    Type: REG_SZ
    Value: 0 to 5

0 = Home/Office Desk                
    1 = Portable/Laptop                   
    2 = Presentation                       
    3 = Always On                           
    4 = Minimal Power Management
    5 = Max Battery                        

Each of these values are also described in  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\ under a separate key.

This will tell you if you really have "Presentation" configured on the runtime.

Thanks
    Srikanth

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Srikanth. I modified our software to read back the power policy setting when the monitor is turned off (through hyperterminal), and it is correct (current power policy = 2).

Is there any other component that I missed?

• Edited by Tony Mulia Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:46 PM
  • 1. If you set other profiles do you get the advertised behavior ?
    2. Can you create a new power scheme and set it up as desired ? Is that broken too ?
    3. Do you (or your network) have group policy that overrides the local settings ?

Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Hi Srikanth,

1. I set the profile to Home/Office Desk, and when I read the registry, it says 0 which is correct. However the monitor always turn off after 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes.
    2. How to create a new power scheme using component designer or target designer? FYI, our system is headless system so there is no mouse and keyboard.
    3. It is not connected to a network.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Tony

Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I managed to get around this problem by writing a small application which modify power management settings, than create a component for it with FBA generic command.

It fixed the problem and the monitor always stays on.

Thank you for all your help.

Best Regards,
    Tony
    • Marked as answer by Tony Mulia Monday, November 30, 2009 10:33 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:32 PM
  • hi tony,

I need to set the montor is always TURN ON. but It changes to "After 20 min" and getting "No Signal". How to avoid the problem.

Regards,

Boopathi

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Are you using WES2009 or XPE? Did you change the power option as described above? If so, was EWF or FBWF turned off?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:35 PM