BizTalk Server Disaster Recovery : Configuring Destination System for Log Shipping RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 BizTalk and 2 SQL Servers ( Clustered ) in Live Environment and DR is exact replica of Live i.e. 2 BizTalk and 2 SQL (Clustered).

I have a query on "How to Configure Destination system for Logshipping"

Step 7 for https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/how-to-configure-the-destination-system-for-log-shipping?redirectedfrom=MSDN

defines configuring log shipping.I am confused on what values will be kept while running on master database and also will this be run on each server of sql cluster?

exec bts_ConfigureBizTalkLogShipping @nvcDescription = '<MyLogShippingSolution>', 
    @nvcMgmtDatabaseName = '<BizTalkServerManagementDatabaseName>', 
    @nvcMgmtServerName = '<BizTalkServerManagementDatabaseServer>', 
    @SourceServerName = null, -- null indicates that this destination server restores all databases 
    @fLinkServers = 1 -- 1 automatically links the server to the management database 

Will :

<MyLogShippingSolution> this be any user given name?

<BizTalkServerManagementDatabaseName> is i beleive management db name

<BizTalkServerManagementDatabaseServer> what name will be this.Will this be Live SQL Cluster name?

@SourceServerName what value to take here?

@fLinkServers what value to take here?

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:14 PM

All replies

• For clarity, this is run on the DR database to point back to the active database.

Let me caution you, you need to run this a couple times on test systems or before the BizTalk system goes live.

There are always environmental nuances that need to be addressed when setting Log Shipping DR.

These are things Admins and Networking has done which simply cannot be documented.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:07 PM
  • I agree with you John.I am thinking of doing testing.Request you to please confirm on what values needed if I set up a similar environment having 2 BizTalk and 2 SQL on two test environments ( DC and DR in actual).

Also can I test this in Azure VM by creating separate environment in two different zones?

Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:48 AM
  • I can confirm the documentation is correct.  The values are specific to your environment so I can't tell you what to use.

You can practice on Azure, but it's best to test as well locally because numerous times, I have had various network, AD or Group Policy issues to work around.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:14 PM
  • Thanks Jhon,i practiced on Azure and overcame issues.Logshipping also worked :)
    • Edited by Ekta Sri Monday, June 24, 2019 2:23 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2019 2:12 PM