Project is unviewable RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Access 2010 and I am working on an access file created in 2003 in .mdb format. When I try click on the AfterUpdate event of a text field, I got the error message saying "project is unviewable". I followed the MS support to remove the digital signature, but it isn't there. There is no certificate to remove. I try to add my certificate, it says it can not save my certificate. I also try to publish and package in Access 2010; it doesn't work either. Please help! Thank you. 

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:28 PM

Answers

• At the top of the Access 2010 window, you should see a tab on the ribbon called "Database Tools".

Inside that tab, there should be a button called "Visual Basic".

if you click that button, it will open the Visual Basic Editor Window.

Now, in the upper left area of the VBE Window, you should see a "Project" sub window.

If you do not see that, then click VIEW>PROJECT EXPLORER

Once you see the Project Explorer Sub Window, you should see the VBA Project associated woith your database.

It is displayed in a hierarchy type format (with little + and - signs) but all of it is contained within the main project group for your database.

If the main project group is already shown as open, you will see inside that group "Microsoft Access Class Objects" and "Modules" if any modules have been added.

If you see any of these items right away, then your VBA project is not locked.

HOWEVER, if it is all shown as collapsed inside the main VBA Project group (with a +sign next to it) then click the + sign to open it.

If it opens, your VBA project is not locked.

If you are prompted for a password, then your VBA project is locked.

• Edited by v-bmyers Friday, May 24, 2013 7:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by v-bmyers Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, June 3, 2013 5:23 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• "When I try click on the AfterUpdate event of a text field"

I assume you mean you're doing this in the "Properties" box with the Form/Report in "Design View".

If so, do you happen to know if the "AfterUpdate" calls a Macro (actual macro function) or if it calls some VBA in a Module?

Based on the error, i suspect it is calling a "_AfterUpdate" event contained within the object's VBA Module.

I would start looking there for possible corruption, missing library references, or other problems.

Most likely right in that object's module, or in another module that houses a function called in the AfterUpdate event.

Also, do you know if there is a "Lock for Viewing" password on the VBA Project?

If so, do you know the password and have you tried opening the VBA Project (applying the password) BEFORE you click into the AfterUpdate field in the properties dialog?

• Edited by v-bmyers Friday, May 24, 2013 4:47 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Are you sure it is not an .mde format versus .mdb or that the project isn't password protected?

Chris Ward

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:52 PM
  • I don't think it is an MDE.

I considered that seemingly obvious cause, but I don't think the OP could gain access to the AfterUpdate event in the properties?

I think that is all locked down in an MDE...

Still though, the project could be locked ("lock for viewing"

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:18 PM
  • This program was created in Access 2000 or Access 2003 and now I am working on it. No, it's not a mde file and it's not a macro, either. I wanted to view the VBA behind some buttons and the after update event a textbox field. I think it's the digital signature installed in the previous version, but there is no digital signature. What can I do so I can check the VBA codes or modules in this program? Thank you.  

Friday, May 24, 2013 6:23 PM
  • If as v-bmyers pointed out if the VBA is password protected you can only access it through the VBA Editor with the password. Are you able to view the Form in Design View? If not, then I suspect you do not have the original file but rather a compiled version and if the extension says .mdb then it probably is really an .mde where someone just changed the extension back to .mdb to try opening it.

If you can open the Form in Design View, is there an indication in the AfterUpdate procedure that code exists like [Event Procedure] or is the line blank?

Can you select the Ellipsis (...)

Chris Ward

• Edited by KCDW Friday, May 24, 2013 7:14 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 6:36 PM
  • At the top of the Access 2010 window, you should see a tab on the ribbon called "Database Tools".

Inside that tab, there should be a button called "Visual Basic".

if you click that button, it will open the Visual Basic Editor Window.

Now, in the upper left area of the VBE Window, you should see a "Project" sub window.

If you do not see that, then click VIEW>PROJECT EXPLORER

Once you see the Project Explorer Sub Window, you should see the VBA Project associated woith your database.

It is displayed in a hierarchy type format (with little + and - signs) but all of it is contained within the main project group for your database.

If the main project group is already shown as open, you will see inside that group "Microsoft Access Class Objects" and "Modules" if any modules have been added.

If you see any of these items right away, then your VBA project is not locked.

HOWEVER, if it is all shown as collapsed inside the main VBA Project group (with a +sign next to it) then click the + sign to open it.

If it opens, your VBA project is not locked.

If you are prompted for a password, then your VBA project is locked.

• Edited by v-bmyers Friday, May 24, 2013 7:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by v-bmyers Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, June 3, 2013 5:23 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 6:54 PM
  • v-bmyers, thanks a lot for the details. I follow steps you showed and when I clicked on the +sign, it pops up the message saying Project Locked and Project is unviewable.

What should I do now?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Get and enter the password or give up.

There is no support forum of which I am aware that will assist in gaining access to any password locked item without having the valid password.

But at least you know now exactly where the challenge lies.

Even though you have not yet gained access to the AfterUpdate event code, you do now know why that is and how to overcome it.

I think the proper procedure would be to mark this thread as answered.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Useless reply. Stupid reply. Got "project is unviewable", and I DO know how to browse through the code. It's the f***ing software (acc2007 AND acc2010) that's locking the project, and this reply doesn't help at all.

I should also add that there's no password involved, database and code have been created by me, and I curse every day I use acc2007 and acc2010, as imposed upon by my employer.

• Edited by jbg_original Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Get and enter the password or give up.

There is no support forum of which I am aware that will assist in gaining access to any password locked item without having the valid password.

But at least you know now exactly where the challenge lies.

Even though you have not yet gained access to the AfterUpdate event code, you do now know why that is and how to overcome it.

I think the proper procedure would be to mark this thread as answered.

Uh no actually that would be a miss. I believe that both the OP and I are experiencing the same issue where after you click on the + a dialog pops up:

MsgBox Prompt:="Project is unviewable", Buttons:=(vbExclamation Xor vbMsgBoxHelpButton), Title:="Project Locked"

Yet there is no dialog which asks for a password which I would definitely like to provide. And furthermore I take offense to you marking your own answer as the solution as clearly it is not so.

Monday, March 27, 2017 10:52 PM
  • FYI: I was able to clear this dialogue by VBE: Tools > Digital Signature..., Click Choose, pick a digital signature, Click OK, close and reopen the database.

Note: if you do not already have a digital signature, then you should be able to create one with SELFCERT.EXE found in your MS Office install folder, mine was C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\SELFCERT.EXE
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:13 AM