Is 'bool' incorrect data type in visual C#.NET? RRS feed

• Question

• I was composing a function invisual studio 2013 preview

I wrote

public bool CheckNumber(string strText)

{

return true;

}

When I tried to build, I found CompileTime ErrorMessage, saying,"Expected Class,delegate,enum, or struct." with red line under the return type, bool. From the time Iwas faced to C#.NET for the first time, I expressed boolean type wi th the symbol "bool", instead of "BOOL". This error is what I have never expected before.

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:34 AM

Answers

• bool is correct, what's incorrect is writing a function outside of a class/struct, you cannot have global functions in C#.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

you need to provide a type that will further encapsulate any function like this:

class A { public bool CheckNumber(string strText)

{

return true;

} }

I hope this may help.

One good question is equivalent to ten best answers.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:46 AM

All replies

• bool is correct, what's incorrect is writing a function outside of a class/struct, you cannot have global functions in C#.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

you need to provide a type that will further encapsulate any function like this:

class A { public bool CheckNumber(string strText)

{

return true;

} }

I hope this may help.

One good question is equivalent to ten best answers.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Thank you for kind comment. But the function I composed was a member function of a class. I will try again. Thanks , anyway.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:01 AM
  • Then try posting the class too. I'd keep an eye on braces, it's relatively easy to have a stray } somewhere that closes the class and leaves the method outside.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:11 AM