none
MSDTC Clustering on SQL Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please guide me with the steps how to cluster MSDTC on SQL Server already having windows clusters with sql and sso cluster service running in it.What prerequisites are needed before starting the MSDTC clustering and what steps are needed to create a cluster resource?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Ekta,

Thank you for posting on MSDN forum.

What you want to achieve, could you please share what steps did you follow and have any issue ?

Please check below blog to understand the MSDTC Recommendations on SQL Failover Cluster,

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/alwaysonpro/2014/01/15/msdtc-recommendations-on-sql-failover-cluster/

Thanks,
    Kamlesh Kumar

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:18 PM
  • What version of BizTalk Server and SQL Server?

The requirement to cluster MSDTC was lifted with...BizTalk 2010/SQL Server 2008 R2.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:58 PM
  • BizTalk server 2016 and SQL Server 2016 are there in the environment.It currently live.Now we need to do MSDTC Clustering in downtime.Please suggest.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Then you're all good.  You do not need to cluster MSDTC on Windows Server 2016.

So, do not cluster MSDTC.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Microsoft still recommends to cluster it.Please suggest the way to do in current scenario.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Sorry, you must be reading old documentation.

There is no need to cluster MSDTC in Windows Server 2016.

See here: Do I Need to Cluster MSDTC after SQL installation?

"With Windows 2008 Failover cluster and later you do not need to cluster MSDTC to utilize the functionality of the MSDTC service. "

Do not cluster MSDTC.  It is not required or even recommended for BizTalk Server.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:58 PM
  • We have Windows server 2012 R2
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Did you read the MSDN Article above?  
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:33 AM