Activex Control RRS feed

• Question

• User595475427 posted

i want to develop an activex control which will be embedded on my webpage........i want to write file on client side using this control......i dont know how to communicate with activex on client side ......(sockets r not required)........i have created activex which has been installed at client machine.......the problem is i dont know how to get to next step that is writing file to client side...... initially there is no such method in activex control....... please help !!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:43 AM

Answers

• User214117797 posted

i want to develop an activex control which will be embedded on my webpage........i want to write file on client side using this control......i dont know how to communicate with activex on client side ......(sockets r not required)........i have created activex which has been installed at client machine.......the problem is i dont know how to get to next step that is writing file to client side...... initially there is no such method in activex control....... please help !!

If you want to create activeX components you will need to use VB6, because .NET does not have projects for activeX controls.

If you want to do it in .NET you can emulate activeX controls by using .NET applets which is essentially create a winforms user control and hosting it in a web page and it will be treated as an activeX.

By doing it in .NET you know how to program in it so the control will be executing client side so you can just write the code as if it was executing on server side.

THe only issue with .NET applets is code access security and for your users to grant your website the appropriate permissions for your assembly to run.

Here is an article on .NET applets if you want a read or to pursue this option

http://weblogs.asp.net/spano/archive/2007/09/19/hosting-a-windows-form-control-in-a-web-page.aspx 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:55 AM
  • User214117797 posted

I have never created an activeX control so I cannot help you there.

If it follows the same principle as .NET then make sure you define an interface for the control so that javascript can interact with it. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• User214117797 posted

If you want to create activeX components you will need to use VB6, because .NET does not have projects for activeX controls.

If you want to do it in .NET you can emulate activeX controls by using .NET applets which is essentially create a winforms user control and hosting it in a web page and it will be treated as an activeX.

By doing it in .NET you know how to program in it so the control will be executing client side so you can just write the code as if it was executing on server side.

THe only issue with .NET applets is code access security and for your users to grant your website the appropriate permissions for your assembly to run.

Here is an article on .NET applets if you want a read or to pursue this option

http://weblogs.asp.net/spano/archive/2007/09/19/hosting-a-windows-form-control-in-a-web-page.aspx 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:55 AM
  • User595475427 posted

thnxxx jimmy g

i have created an activex control and when i embedd it on my webpage it gets embedded perfectly .....and on client pc i see its statue as "installed"......now this is the point where i m stuck.......i m trying to search ways by which i can communicate with my activex through webpage so that i can send file to client using activex as medium between the two.......when i try javascript to call methods of activex ...i get error "Object does not support this property or method"..........

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:24 AM
  • User214117797 posted

I have never created an activeX control so I cannot help you there.

If it follows the same principle as .NET then make sure you define an interface for the control so that javascript can interact with it. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:54 PM
  • User-1414424342 posted

I also have this problem. How should i send the file from web server to client application?

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:45 AM
  • User-1414424342 posted

umairzafar, do u mind to tell me how you solve it? 

Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:38 AM