Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I just started using VB 2005 (in VS 2005 Beta2) and have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to enable the Clipboard ring or is there an equivalent replacement?
    2. Is there any way to prevent task descriptions from using Word Wrap in the TaskList window?
    3. Does the Solution Configurations menu item exist in VS2005 (i.e., the ComboBox in the Standard menu bar that contains "Debug", "Release" and "Configuration Manager..." items)?  If so, how can you add it to the Standard menu bar?
    4. Is there any way to make disabled break points fill the entire source line as enabled break points do?
    5. Is there any way to force Errors and Warnings to be updated right now?  In a large project it can take a while for Errors and Warnings to update and sometimes it’s nice to confirm that you fixed the issue before moving on to other code.

Thanks a lot for any help!
    Lance

Friday, April 22, 2005 5:18 AM

Answers

• I can answer one of your questions (hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help you with the others):

5. Is there any way to force Errors and Warnings to be updated right now?  In a large project it can take a while for Errors and Warnings to update and sometimes it’s nice to confirm that you fixed the issue before moving on to other code.

You can build your solution (Build > Build Solution, or Ctrl-Shift-B), and that should update the errors and warnings.
    Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:16 PM

All replies

• I just realized that the functionality of the Clipboard ring is sporadic.  For example, at one point I had three solutions open in three different instances of VS.NET 2005 Beta2.  The Clipboard ring did not work in one instance of VS but it worked in the other two.  Then, I closed and reopened all of the solutions in new instances of VS.  At that point the Clipboard ring did not work in any of the instances.  I made sure that the Ctrl - Shift - V keyboard command was bound to the CycleClipboardRing command in Tools - Options.  I sure there is a workaround.

Thanks,
    Lance

Friday, April 22, 2005 7:00 PM
  • MORE INFO:

I discovered that the problem occurs when the Toolbox window is open when VS.NET 2005 Beta2 is launched.  In that case the Clipboard ring does not work.  If I close the Toolbox window then the Clipboard ring works, even if I reopen the Toolbox window.  I also discovered that there is a bug when the Breakpoints window is open in that pressing enter while in the Text Editor causes the caret to jump to the next break point.

I assume that these are bugs, but at least there is an easy fix.  Still need help with 2-5 though.

Lance
    Friday, April 22, 2005 9:03 PM
  • I can answer one of your questions (hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help you with the others):

You can build your solution (Build > Build Solution, or Ctrl-Shift-B), and that should update the errors and warnings.
    Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:16 PM
  • You can build your solution (Build > Build Solution, or Ctrl-Shift-B), and that should update the errors and warnings.

Thanks.  I was hoping there might be a more direct way since compiling can take a while in the project where this is an issue.  You're right, this will work though.

Anybody know about my other issues?

Lance

Friday, April 29, 2005 7:51 PM