Actual users vs licenses RRS feed

• Question

• I am struggling to find out the number/details of users who use our SharePoint instance. All I see in the usage reports is Top Users etc. I am sure there is a way to find this as if Microsoft sells 4000 licenses for SP to a company, how does it know that only 4000 users can access it? I would love to hear how people here are getting these statistics and user information.

I do not care about number of profiles in UPS, what I care about is who is accessing it and when was SP last accessed by them.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

• As always you should consult your friendly local licensing vendor who can give you a definitive answer.

SharePoint 2010 relied on you administering your license count manually. In a lot of companies it's trivial, you license everyone who works there. 2500 staff, 2500 licenses. In cases where the user group is a subset then you buy licenses suitable to cover those people, for example a HR specific build might only need 25 user CALs as the team only has 20 people with a handfull of spares for consultants or in case of growth.

2013 changes that but that's a post for another thread.

• Edited by Alex Brassington Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:22 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:17 PM