none
Is the bin folder with DLLs from all other projects, in a ASP.NET WebForms project necessary? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been in my current position almost 3 years. Shortly after coming here I was given the task of trying to piece together a VB.NET ASP.NET WebForms project that some guy had written years before, that needed to be modified.

He didn't bother to put it in any source control whatsoever. Before leaving he ordered that his PC with all of the source code be reformatted, losing all the code and how it would fit together into a Visual Studio solution. I had to piece it together from backups of is PC, in order to address the required modifications.

Most likely I over compensated in trying to piece together the solution along with the 8 projects that I thought were in it. I'm going through it now trying to remove some code that isn't really used. (e.g.: for whatever reason, he intermingled WinForms code in with WebForms code.) There is some code I never found, but I did find the DLLs on the web server. These I put into the bin folder of the WebForm project. This is one place I may over overcompensated, because I put all of the .DLL's in the solution (those generated by the other projects that I was actually able to find the code for) into the bin folder of the WebForm project. 

So, what I'm wondering is, should I remove the .DLL's from the bin folder of the WebForm project, for which I've got the project code and is in the solution?

Rod

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:59 PM

Answers

• I believe they are all Class libraries. They aren't other web applications and I'm pretty certain they're not web services. Good suggestion on removing them from the WebForm's bin folder and try running it to see if it complains.

Rod

If they are all .NET Class libraries (and not COM) then I would suspect they would need to be added to the bin folder. That is, unless they are registered/installed in the GAC.

You may also want to check the web.config file as well, since it is possible to specify a dependent assembly path there.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:50 PM

All replies

• Rod,

This is not the best forum for VB with ASP.Net anymore. 

However, the Bin folder in a Visual Studio project is one that constantly is new created. Therefore it does not matter what you have in it. 

But I think that get few persons who have experience with a Web form in this forum anymore. Therefore try the Microsoft ASP.Net forums.

http://forums.asp.net

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:13 PM
  • A difficult question to answer without knowing more about the app. Did you identify all of the dependencies and determine which are required? For example, are the DLLs you are referring to .NET? Are any registered in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache)? Are they Class libraries, web services or other web applications?

Perhaps you should simply remove all of the DLLs and then determine, one by one, whether the app runs without having them in the bin folder.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:17 PM
  • I believe they are all Class libraries. They aren't other web applications and I'm pretty certain they're not web services. Good suggestion on removing them from the WebForm's bin folder and try running it to see if it complains.

Rod

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:33 PM
  • You should talk with management about fixing th3eir procedures. They are likely to listen since this is an example of why they should. There should be a policy of keeping a backup of their data. You should have a clearly defined promotion procedure; a procedure for how software is put into production. It is especially important that the production source code be locked up and backed up. Hosts such as Azure and IBM's Bluemix are complicated because they provide mechanisms to support a proper way to deal with production code.

The goal should be to be able to completely re-create the web application from source code. You need to ensure that you can totally create the application from known source code.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:35 PM

Rod

If they are all .NET Class libraries (and not COM) then I would suspect they would need to be added to the bin folder. That is, unless they are registered/installed in the GAC.

You may also want to check the web.config file as well, since it is possible to specify a dependent assembly path there.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:50 PM
  • You should talk with management about fixing th3eir procedures. They are likely to listen since this is an example of why they should. There should be a policy of keeping a backup of their data. You should have a clearly defined promotion procedure; a procedure for how software is put into production. It is especially important that the production source code be locked up and backed up. Hosts such as Azure and IBM's Bluemix are complicated because they provide mechanisms to support a proper way to deal with production code.

The goal should be to be able to completely re-create the web application from source code. You need to ensure that you can totally create the application from known source code.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Seems obvious Rod did do that him already himself, why do you think he did not?

His message does not sound that he would not know what to do as that was happened. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Seems obvious Rod did do that him already himself, why do you think he did not?

His message does not sound that he would not know what to do as that was happened. 

Only Rod knows for sure what has been done. If my comments are useless for Rod then Rod can ignore them. Otherwise this discussion could easily become long and useless with nothing but speculation.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Bottom line here is your company got toasted, by typical in the wild wild west gunslinger behavior in VB world.  You might as well look at application functionality and rewrite it, keeping it in some kind of source control.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:55 PM