none
Directories in ...\AppData\Local\Temp named Report.24C1A7FE-1E19-41F5-A0E5-781740D0C02E or similar

Question

• Hi,

Since recently I have a problem with VS 2015 in Windows 10 on my machine.

After a debug run the output window cleares the output and shows the following (in german language of Windows 10 and VS):

Fehler beim Öffnen von 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\Report.58736738-BF85-4AA5-A712-1219934717C1'. Dies ist wahrscheinlich auf eine Beschädigung zurückzuführen. Versuchen Sie es erneut mit einer anderen Datei, oder melden Sie dieses Problem mithilfe der Schaltfläche für Visual Studio-Feedback.

I can see a lot of directories in the ...\AppData\Local\Temp directory named in a similar way. These directories can hardly be deleted even as Administrator. (The security settings have to be changed individually.)

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To end the question:

I assume I had a problem on the disk. It is a SSD but I did not get any fault reports on it.

I deleted the ...\temp directory as it had strange security settings and created a new one. Since then everything seems to be fine again..

Thomas

• Marked as answer by TSTK Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hi TSTK,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>After a debug run the output window cleares the output and shows the following (in german language of Windows 10 and VS):

Does this issue happens to this specific project or any projects? Did it work fine before? Please try to create a new project to check it.

If only the current project has this issue, please close VS, unload then reload the solution, or clean the solution, delete the .suo or .vs of your current project, then reopen this solution.

>>Fehler beim Öffnen von 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\Report.58736738-BF85-4AA5-A712-1219934717C1'.

Can you find the folder Report.58736738-BF85-4AA5-A712-1219934717C1 under the Temp folder? If so, right click the file, select Properties-Security and confirm your account have the full control of this file. Using the administrator account to login the computer and run the VS as administrator, then debug the project again.

Meanwhile, you can temporarily disable any antivirus of UAC to troubleshot this issue.

BTW, what’s your VS 2015 version, please make sure it is already installed the latest update: VS 2015 update 3. If not, you can go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Updates, download the VS 2015 update 3 to install.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Sara,

Here the answers to your questions:

The issue happens in more than one project. It worked fine quite some time. We have tons of projects, it seems to happen to all projects that we debug. It does not happen in every debug session, but apparently occationly to all of them.

Yes, of course I can find the project. The deletion of the directory and the files within is a very tedious process.

I have the set the security setting for nearly each element individually and repeatedly (taking ownership, setting rights, ...) I've done it once or twice but I gave up. My temp directory is filling up...

We do not have antivirus software beyond Windows Defender.

We have the latest updates installed.

Any other suggestions?

Thomas

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your update.

Since it works fine before, please go to the VS community 2015 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands. After each command, reopen VS to check this issue.

devenv /resetuserdata: clear the old user data

devenv /safemode: run the VS as safe, check if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.

Or go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right click the VS 2015 and choose Change-Repair, then test this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

To end the question:

I assume I had a problem on the disk. It is a SSD but I did not get any fault reports on it.

I deleted the ...\temp directory as it had strange security settings and created a new one. Since then everything seems to be fine again..

Thomas

• Marked as answer by TSTK Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Hi TSTK,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you so much for your sharing, it will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue.

If you have any other issue about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:44 AM