none
Some outlook emails email_id's contain slashes ("/") RRS feed

• Question

• I'm encountering a weird problem with the outlook API for reading messages. For some of the emails, when I grab the email_id, it returns a string that contains a "/". How do I work with this, because if I try to make a call to the outlook API with that string, it returns a bad request because the part after the "/" in the email_id isn't a valid email ID.

Here's an example ID that I'm getting: "AAMkADM2Mjg1NTliLTdhYmQtNDBmZi05NjJiLTY0NDc4YjVmMWE5MQBGAAAAAAA5EkVEDlg7RLKUWeTTCPXUBwBmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAAAAEMAABmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAZ/Td4AAA"
    If I take out the "/", it still doesn't work, and if I remove the "/" and everything after it, it also still doesn't work.

Here's another email ID that i'm getting.

"AAMkADM2Mjg1NTliLTdhYmQtNDBmZi05NjJiLTY0NDc4YjVmMWE5MQBGAAAAAAA5EkVEDlg7RLKUWeTTCPXUBwBmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAAAAEMAABmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAZ/Td3AAA"

If you look at the two email ID's mentioned, the parts before the "/" are identical. Only the parts after the "/" are different.

My question is how do I deal with this? (Those two email ID's come from two separate email conversations that I received on the same day.)

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi rtanq,

>>I'm encountering a weird problem with the outlook API for reading messages. For some of the emails, when I grab the email_id, it returns a string that contains a "/". <<

Which method did you use? Office add-in or Rest API?

As I don't know how did you grab email_id, I suggest you provide more information.

I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:29 AM
  • I am using the Rest API
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi rtanq,

I will move this problem to Office 365 for Developer Forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=Office365forDevelopers

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi rtanq9 ,

How do you get the email id ? In outlook mail rest api , you could get the email id by :

GET https://outlook.office.com/api/v2.0/me/mailfolders/inbox/messages?$select=id

Do you find there is "/" in the id ? And when you want to query something with email id , you should use the entire string as the email id . Please refer to below article for more details about outlook mail rest api :

https://dev.outlook.com/restapi/getstarted 

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Since the JS is being run in outlook, I already, natively, have access to the API. So i use that to get the email ID.

My question still remains though. Why would outlook return email ID's like this:  "AAMkADM2Mjg1NTliLTdhYmQtNDBmZi05NjJiLTY0NDc4YjVmMWE5MQBGAAAAAAA5EkVEDlg7RLKUWeTTCPXUBwBmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAAAAEMAABmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAZ/Td4AAA"

Thanks.

As a side note, not all of the emails return email ID's like this only "For some of the emails" (Quote from my first post).
    • Edited by rtanq9 Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:40 PM Added more information that is pertinent.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:19 PM
  • >>>My question still remains though. Why would outlook return email ID's like this:  "AAMkADM2Mjg1NTliLTdhYmQtNDBmZi05NjJiLTY0NDc4YjVmMWE5MQBGAAAAAAA5EkVEDlg7RLKUWeTTCPXUBwBmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAAAAEMAABmLuUUZnMNS4Yvn4cMdsxpAAAZ/Td4AAA"<<<

According to your description, I have made a sample to try to reproduce this issue, unfortunately, I am not able.

I get this itemId like below:
    "AAMkADdhMGJjMzQ2LWU4YmMtNDQwOC04NzlmLThkMjk2YzkyODk3MQBGAAAAAACwWPo9lHWOT6qWd2ArSzLABwAmK8ku5FiVSrnZwi8laqJnAAAAdOlvAACetVTA2YqCTbsDQ2PERGl3AAEGM0czAAA="

So I suggest that you could check what difference is in these mail item.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Only some of the emails return an email_id with a "/", the ones that do are all sent from another Microsoft Outlook account and are all received on my Microsoft Outlook account. Some have attachments, some don't, some are sent to multiple people, some aren't. There is not visible pattern that I can find as to which emails are affected. Also, it has seemed to stop as I haven't had any emails recently that this has happened to. All the emails I received for a period of about a day, two weeks ago, had this issue. 

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:10 PM
  • Hi rtanq9,

According to your description, since I am not able to reproduce this issue on my client, I suggest that you could submit any feedback to Office Dev UserVoice:

https://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:38 AM