none
Error: ieframe dll dnserrordiagoff htm# when upgrading project from 2005 to 2015

Question

• Hello,

I am taking a project from Visual Studio 2005 with a webbrowser control and upgrading to a visual studio 2015 project. the problem is I have code that goes out to a website and downloads files automatically. It works in visual studio 2005 but in Visual Studio 2015 I get an error message when the webbrowser control navigates to the page I want to do work on. This is the error message:

This page can't be displayed Make sure the web address ieframe dll dnserrordiagoff htm# is correct.

Both projects are ran on the production machine.

Any ideas?

• Edited by achurchill Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:29 PM Added some details
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi achurchill ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

From your description, it seems that the project has problem from upgrading VS 2005 to VS 2015. The cause of the issue may due to the compatibility of the two different VS editions.

VS2015 doesn’t support some project template in VS2005. So for your issue, I think the problem is that the project in VS2005 is not compatible with VS2015.

You could refer to the following link to check the supported project type in VS2015:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Here are my suggestions about this issue:

Workaround 1:

You could develop a new project the same function as the old one in VS 2015, it will exclude some potential problems of upgrading project , meanwhile, VS 2015 is much more advanced than 2005 and good experiencing for you use.

Workaround 2:

You could try to open the project in more close version of VS2005  (such as 2008 or 2010), but there could be some problem existing. Then if the problem are solved, please open it in VS 2015 to see if it works.

In addition if you have trouble of coding or develop the web project , I recommend you go to ASP.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Marked as answer by achurchill Friday, March 18, 2016 6:31 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lake,

The problem that occurred believe it or not was a space in the URL. Apparently Visual Studio 2015 put a space in the URL. Its funny because I didn't touch the older code because it has been running for years without issue, so therefore I never really thought about checking the syntax. I did however learn a new thing from you Lake in that upgrading from a Visual Studio Project 2005 to 2015 will sometimes not work. I followed your advice just to see if it would upgrade in 2010 correctly and it dd without putting the space in so I will mark your solution as an answer because it worked too. Thanks again.

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi achurchill ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

From your description, it seems that the project has problem from upgrading VS 2005 to VS 2015. The cause of the issue may due to the compatibility of the two different VS editions.

VS2015 doesn’t support some project template in VS2005. So for your issue, I think the problem is that the project in VS2005 is not compatible with VS2015.

You could refer to the following link to check the supported project type in VS2015:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Here are my suggestions about this issue:

Workaround 1:

You could develop a new project the same function as the old one in VS 2015, it will exclude some potential problems of upgrading project , meanwhile, VS 2015 is much more advanced than 2005 and good experiencing for you use.

Workaround 2:

You could try to open the project in more close version of VS2005  (such as 2008 or 2010), but there could be some problem existing. Then if the problem are solved, please open it in VS 2015 to see if it works.

In addition if you have trouble of coding or develop the web project , I recommend you go to ASP.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, March 18, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lake,

The problem that occurred believe it or not was a space in the URL. Apparently Visual Studio 2015 put a space in the URL. Its funny because I didn't touch the older code because it has been running for years without issue, so therefore I never really thought about checking the syntax. I did however learn a new thing from you Lake in that upgrading from a Visual Studio Project 2005 to 2015 will sometimes not work. I followed your advice just to see if it would upgrade in 2010 correctly and it dd without putting the space in so I will mark your solution as an answer because it worked too. Thanks again.

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:31 PM