none
Graphic indicators for the project RRS feed

• Question

• We have project server 2007 SP2. The project that we have has some milestones that show red flags (overdue) on several items, but in project center view the task status for that specific project still shows green I guess it is an overall view to the project, but wonder when it should change.

Please advice.

Thanks

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

let's give it another try. Yes, I think you can achieve what you want to see with three Enterprise Custom Fields, two on task level, one on project level. They can be 'blind', since they have formulas in it. There is no need for the project manager to modify them (moreover, he will not be able to).

The first task field evaluates your schedule situation. If you use a number field, you have the possiblity to use the rollup functionality to get your expected result for summary tasks. As far as I understood, you want to get a warning on project level, if any task is overdue.
    Switch([% Complete]=100,0,(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),2,[Finish Variance]<=0,1,[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])*0.1),2,True,3). Switch evaluates the situation, the higher the value, the 'worse' the situation. Using "Max" for rollup, you will get the numeric value up to summary and project summary level. (If I interpreted your requirement in the wrong way, you will need to to change the numeric values accordingly.)

The second Enterprise Custom Field on task level does only a translation of the numeric value of the first field into your text.

The Enterprise Custom Field on Project Level does the same translation on project level.

There is no need to put these fields into your template. However, you need to restart ProjProf and publish your plans to make the values available in PWA.

If you have more questions, let me know!
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Friday, July 23, 2010 10:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

MSProjectExperts (thanks!) saved me again some typing effort. Have a look at http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=f884b43f%2D61db%2D4c4e%2D94a3%2D38f21a8efdad&ID=78, you will find a description of your issue and a link how to resolve. It doesn't make a difference that you don't see "The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint…", there can be several reasons for that.

Note the last line in the FAQ "Allow time for the reporting rebuild job to run. You can track the state of this job on the Manage Queue page." It will take some time!!!

Good luck!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Friday, July 23, 2010 7:00 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:48 AM

All replies

• BD --

You would have to ask your Project Server administrator for the graphical indicator criteria for the custom task field and the custom project field.  He/she can tell you both the formula and graphical indicator criteria for each field and then you can probably figure out why.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for your post. I am the project server admin here and i used:

Switch([% Complete]=100,"Complete",(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),"Overdue",[Finish Variance]<=0,"All Tasks are On Track and On Time",[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Project Finish])*0.1),"There are task(s) in jeopardy",[Finish Variance]>(ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Project Finish])*0.1),"There are task(s) that are overdue")

Any idea why the indicator for the project shows green when we have some overdue tasks under this project. The overdue tasks show the red flags, but the indicator for the whole project is still green.

Please advice.

Thanks

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:23 PM
  • BD --

Seeing the formula is of little help in diagnosing your problem.  You need to list the Graphical Indicator criteria for both the Project field AND the Task field.  In fact, if you compare them, you might see the reason for the difference.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Hi B.D.,

I have just checked your formula. Even if you have milestones being overdue, your project can still have [Finish Variance]<=0 on project level. Insert project Summary and column Finish Variance and see what you if it is <=0.

If you want single task to impact a formula on project summary, you should think about using a number field and a rollup function like "max". I am not sure if I interpreted your schedule information as you want them to be? To achieve your expected result (as long as I understand correctly ;-)) I used 3 fields:

Task Field 1 (Number): Switch([% Complete]=100,0,(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),2,[Finish Variance]<=0,1,[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])*0.1),2,True,3). Set Roll up to "max"

Task Field 2 (Text): Switch([Your Task Number Field]=0,"Complete",[Your Task Number Field]=2,"Overdue",[Your Task Number Field]=1,"There are task(s) in jeopardy",[Your Task Number Field]=3,"There are task(s) that are overdue"). Set roll up to "Use formula"

Project Field (Text): Switch([Your Task Number Field]=0,"Complete",[Your Task Number Field]=2,"Overdue",[Your Task Number Field]=1,"There are task(s) in jeopardy",[Your Task Number Field]=3,"There are task(s) that are overdue"). Set roll up to "Use formula"

Does that help?
    Regards
    Barbara

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:30 AM
  • Barbara --

Thank you for your reply.  I work with Bahram and I am tring to understand what you are suggesting that we should do.  Do understand that you wants us to create three custom fields?  Task Field 1, Task Field 2, and Project Field.  Does these fields have to be in the template that we use to create the projects too?  Or, are they blind columns/fields?

thanks...

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

let's give it another try. Yes, I think you can achieve what you want to see with three Enterprise Custom Fields, two on task level, one on project level. They can be 'blind', since they have formulas in it. There is no need for the project manager to modify them (moreover, he will not be able to).

The first task field evaluates your schedule situation. If you use a number field, you have the possiblity to use the rollup functionality to get your expected result for summary tasks. As far as I understood, you want to get a warning on project level, if any task is overdue.
    Switch([% Complete]=100,0,(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),2,[Finish Variance]<=0,1,[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])*0.1),2,True,3). Switch evaluates the situation, the higher the value, the 'worse' the situation. Using "Max" for rollup, you will get the numeric value up to summary and project summary level. (If I interpreted your requirement in the wrong way, you will need to to change the numeric values accordingly.)

The second Enterprise Custom Field on task level does only a translation of the numeric value of the first field into your text.

The Enterprise Custom Field on Project Level does the same translation on project level.

There is no need to put these fields into your template. However, you need to restart ProjProf and publish your plans to make the values available in PWA.

If you have more questions, let me know!
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Friday, July 23, 2010 10:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Barbara ,

Thanks for your post. We got the status indicators working correctly, but we are getting some error messages on our Manage Queue page.

It looks like that the server is doing its job, but keep getting new error messages. I rebooted the SQL server (SQL server 2008 is on different server) and I also rebooted the Project server, but still getting these errors.

job Type: Reporting (Project Publish)

Job status: Waiting to be Processed (Sleeping)

The other error is:

Job title: Reporting (Project Publish)

Job Status: Failed But Not Blocking Correlation

For the second one under error I have: Error summary/areas:

Reporting message processor failed

ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed

Queue

GeneralQueueJobFailed

Error details:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="Reporting message processor failed">

<error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="f275beec-1ade-47fb-81cd-f6683d67358f" QueueMessageBody="Project

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="fa534865-9a90-4991-a3f7-87d87e8a740d" JobUID="daa31b11-7472-4d36-8bb5-b216f70c1e54" ComputerName="*********" GroupType="ReportingProjectPublish" MessageType="ReportProjectPublishMessageEx" MessageId="1" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

I can  published a new project, it shows in Project Details. Same thing for old projects, we are able to make changes, but  shows "Reporting (Project Publish)" OR " Waiting to be Processed (Sleeping)" in the queue. 

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Bahram

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

MSProjectExperts (thanks!) saved me again some typing effort. Have a look at http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=f884b43f%2D61db%2D4c4e%2D94a3%2D38f21a8efdad&ID=78, you will find a description of your issue and a link how to resolve. It doesn't make a difference that you don't see "The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint…", there can be several reasons for that.

Note the last line in the FAQ "Allow time for the reporting rebuild job to run. You can track the state of this job on the Manage Queue page." It will take some time!!!

Good luck!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Friday, July 23, 2010 7:00 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I have implemented your recommendation as Bahram has stated, but we have noticed an anomaly.  I add the Custom Field “StatusCheck”, and the formula is:

Switch([% Complete]=100,0,(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),2,[Finish Variance]<=0,1,[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])*0.1),2,True,3)

If a task is completed after the identified finish date, the value for StatusCheck remains at the value of 2.

First I want to ask you were can I read up on writing formulas?  I cannot find the documentation that explains how to do it, and what the Test Criteria are.  Secondly, if you do not mind, what changes can I make to the formula to report that the task is complete no matter the [Finish] value is?

thanks...

Jamie

Monday, August 9, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

you want to see 0 if the task is completed - whenever that happened? Am I correct? It is working with my project. Switch stops evaluating with the first evaluation being true. So it should stop after [% complete]=100 and give 0 a result. Have you tried to re-calculate (F9)?

To get an overview of formulas enter "Project functions for custom fields" into Help search. The first result should help you. Switch is explained in section "General functions".

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Barbara --

Thank you for your follow-up.  I will check out the documentation that you mentioned.  I think I have an understand of what is happening now.  We need to replublich all of our projects to adopt the new settings.  Once that is done, I will be able to tell you if I am getting the results i expect or not.

thanks...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

you are welcome!
    And yes, you need to re-publish your projects after changing formulas. Perhaps you will even need to hit F9 to recalculate.

Success!
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you again for helping us on this issue. Jamie and I are still working on this, and we have a problem that would like to share with you.

Here is the formula that we have on “Task Status” (task level):

Switch([StatusCheck]=0,"Complete",[StatusCheck]=1,"There are task(s) that the Start date has not pasted",[StatusCheck]=2,"There are task(s) within the working timeframe",[StatusCheck]=3,"There are task(s) that are overdue")

Which works fine, and shows the right indicator, but it doesn’t rule up on “Schedule Status”  (Project level).

Here is the formula we have on this level (project level/ Schedule Status) :

Switch([StatusCheck]=0,"Complete",[StatusCheck]=1,"There are task(s) that the Start date has not pasted",[StatusCheck]=2,"There are task(s) within the working timeframe",[StatusCheck]=3,"There are task(s) that are overdue")

On our StatusCheck, we have:

Switch([% Complete]=100,0,(([% Complete]<100) And ([Finish]<Date())),2,[Finish Variance]<=0,1,[Finish Variance]<=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])*0.1),2,True,3)

Please advice, and let us know why we are not able to get the right indicator on project level/ Schedule Status.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Bahram

Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi Bahram,

2 thoughts (it's working for me):

- "Schedule Status" has to be a text field. You want to display text .... If you are not defining a graphic indicator: do you see the good description?
    - Have you set StatusCheck to roll-up with "Max"? Is the sequence of 0-3 set to your interpretation ("Complete" better than "There are task(s) that the Start date has not pasted" better than "There are task(s) within the working timeframe" better than "There are task(s) that are overdue")? When setting rool-up to max, StatusCheck will display the worst result included in your project. If you display project summary task in Project: is the value of StatusCheck correct?

Let me know!
    Barbara

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Bahram and I appreciate all of your help.  We are not getting the expected results for the Project level custom field.  We are going to open a trouble case for the help.  Either Bahram or I will post our findings from the case.

Cheers…

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

do you see the expected value of your task field "StatusCheck" on project summary task"? I think the issue is caused by that field, rather than the project field.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

We are monitoring that field in Project Professional and no we are not getting the expected results.  Would you like for us to post our entire configuration for your review?

thanks...

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

to post the entire configuration is not necessary in a first step, I think. Let's focus on StatusCheck, since that is the base for the others. It has to be

• a number field on task level
    • roll-up for summary task needs to be set to maximum
    • the numbers 0-3 have to be the results in your formula - the better the result, the smaller your number

The idea is: if you have two tasks, on is completed (->0) and one is not completed and late (->2), their common summary task should be 2, because one of them is 2 (maximum). Does that work for summary tasks? It should also work for project summary task.

Let me know if you have something different.
    Barbara

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:55 PM