Excel 2013 PowerPivot Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I started using PowerPivot on my work laptop a few months ago upon learning about the software. It has been working great up until a few weeks ago, when I started encountering a strange error that I cannot seem to find any resolutions to online. I can open up my workbook and launch the 'Manage' PowerPivot function just fine, but if I close the PowerPivot window and try re-opening it, I consistently get the same two error logs:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 15.0.4885.1000, time stamp: 0x582ac284
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0379
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
    Faulting process id: 0x1dd0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d287f8d5a0d0aa
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Application: EXCEL.EXE
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
       at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.CreateHandle()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.Utils.RichTextBoxEx.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.Utils.RichTextBoxEx..ctor()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.DAXAutoCompleteControl..ctor(Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.IAutoCompleteHost)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.FormulaBar..ctor(Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.IAutoCompleteHost, System.Windows.Forms.SplitContainer)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.MemberIntialization()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Modeler.ClientWindow.MemberIntialization()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Modeler.ClientWindow.InitializeWindow(Boolean)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Modeler.ClientWindow.StartClientInSeparateThread(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)

I have tried running the Windows SFC tool which found and correct some errors, however the issues continued. I have also downloaded the OffCAT tool which disabled one add-in and recommends two updates, which may or may not address the issue. I have a ticket in with my IT team to confirm I can install the update.

Has anyone encountered this issue and found a way to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Adam

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:59 AM

Answers

• Updating to x64 version of 2013 alleviates the crashing from opening and closing power pivot windows. Not sure what the underlying issue is though.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:44 PM

All replies

• I have a temporary work around which leads me to believe the issue is related to a Microsoft Update. If you open two Excel workbooks that both utilize PowerPivot and open the Manage window in each instance, as long as you keep one instance of the Manage window open (in either workbook), you can open and close the other instance's Manage window repeatedly without issue.

As soon as you only have one PowerPivot Manage window open and then close it, it is going to crash upon opening the Manage window again.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Hi AdamK981,

You'd better disable the Power Pivot in Excel, enable it again. Reboot your computer and check if the issue still exists.

If you have other issues, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:46 AM
  • Hi Angelia,

I tried your suggestion and still crashing. It only happens after I open the PowerPivot Manage window and close it, without having any other instance open. It will crash immediately upon trying to open the Manage window again.

I wasnt having these issues a few weeks ago. I am surprised that I am the only one reporting these issues right now, as my colleague is having the same issue.

Thanks,
    Adam

Friday, February 17, 2017 2:17 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue with the same exact same version. Repairing does nothing, and when I close excel I get an error about Object referencing.

Edit: All my coworkers are experiencing the exact same symptoms so it leads me to believe it's something to do with the version.

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Had our local IT update Excel to version 15.0.4893.1002 and it still exhibits the same behavior. When closing excel after PowerPivot stops working it gives the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.". I then have to force close excel in the Task manager it refuses to close.

This is crazy and also breaks auto saving and saving a document as a whole after a while even with Adam's work around.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:34 PM
  • We are having the same problem with Excel 2016. Any updates on this?
    Monday, May 22, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Updating to x64 version of 2013 alleviates the crashing from opening and closing power pivot windows. Not sure what the underlying issue is though.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Please kindly mark the correct solutions as answers, this could be beneficial to other community members who are facing similar issue. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:49 AM
    Answerer