none
What should be the ideal size of the dataset? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

What should be the ideal size of the dataset?

I am writing an asp.net application and i have to get the dataset with 5 datatables which is of size 2MB. Does this have any impact on the server? My main intention is to minimize the number of DB hits so as to improve the performance of the application.

Can some one suggest on this please?

Many thanks

• Moved by Min ZhuModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:09 AM (From:Common Language Runtime)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

• I believe it depends on your server configuration and what you are doing with the data. Caching 2MB of data on your server does not look bad compared to reading 2MB of data from the database on every call. You can also try server side caching solutions such as NCache to effectively cache data on the server.
    Click the 'Vote as Helpful' arrow if this post was helpful.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• I believe it depends on your server configuration and what you are doing with the data. Caching 2MB of data on your server does not look bad compared to reading 2MB of data from the database on every call. You can also try server side caching solutions such as NCache to effectively cache data on the server.
    Click the 'Vote as Helpful' arrow if this post was helpful.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hi Courageous_Heart,

I agree with Abhimanyu, compare with reading 2MB of data from database every times, caching is really more better.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 9:34 AM