none
both chart.xml files have identical settings for the axis and legend, yet Word draws them totally differently. RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Dave,

As to 1),

I searched over the OpenXML specs documentations. All I can find is as follows,

--------------------------------------------------

22.2.2.1 Application (Application Name)
    This element specifies the name of the application that created this document.
    The possible values for this element are defined by the W3C XML Schema string datatype.

That is to say, as the standard defines, it should be OK for any string type value. But, from our test and observations, the Word implementation only understand "Microsoft Office Word", but not the other values. And from most of the MSDN documentations, we can verify this. For example, in this documentation, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb264572(office.12).aspx, it strictly uses the "Microsoft Office Word" as the Application property value.

As to 2),

Yes, we lie and set Application to "Microsoft Office Word" when creating a docx file.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 30, 2010 4:28 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:28 AM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

I split the thread from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/b0d1c911-215a-4bf6-b403-a50217cceb47 for it is a question. I am looking into the document and will post back.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I use Word 2007 and find both of the files show the chart axis and legend consistently.

But if I use Word 2010, I find Word display them differently as you said. However, I checked the chart.xml and document.xml. They look same.

So this issue also looks like caused by Word 2007 and 2010 changing. It is hard to say whether it is a bug or just a by design changing to better accommondate the ECMA standard.

Currently, my suggestion is that for Word 2010, we can first change the chart layout as we want in the Word UI and then look into the underlying XML to see how to construct what we want.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hi;

The problem is we have to work with whatever Word creates, we don't control creating them. So when Word creates a chart like that, how are we supposed to render it? For example, one use of our system is on Java servers they gives us a DOCX file and we return a PDF file.

thanks - dave

Very funny video - Reporting as a Metaphor
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Hi David,

I investigated this issue and what I see is that the Application element value in app.xml is set to "Winward Reports." This is causing Word 2010 to not correctly apply the compatibility setttings as it does not understand that the document is actually a Word 2007 document.

If I change Application to "Microsoft Office Word", I see that the document does get rendered correctly in Word 2010.

Please try this and let me know how this goes for you.

Thanks,
    Ankush

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Ankush Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Proposed as answer by Ji.ZhouModerator Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ji.ZhouModerator Monday, August 16, 2010 9:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 16, 2010 2:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 16, 2010 2:52 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi Ankush;

Ok, that explains it. Two questions:

1) Can you please point me to the part of the OpenXML spec that lists what properties are handled in what different manner based on the Application element value? We need to know what to do based on that setting.

2) Should we lie and set Application to Word when we create a DOCX file?

thanks - dave

Monday, August 16, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hello Dave,

As to 1),

I searched over the OpenXML specs documentations. All I can find is as follows,

22.2.2.1 Application (Application Name)
    This element specifies the name of the application that created this document.
    The possible values for this element are defined by the W3C XML Schema string datatype.

That is to say, as the standard defines, it should be OK for any string type value. But, from our test and observations, the Word implementation only understand "Microsoft Office Word", but not the other values. And from most of the MSDN documentations, we can verify this. For example, in this documentation, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb264572(office.12).aspx, it strictly uses the "Microsoft Office Word" as the Application property value.

As to 2),

Yes, we lie and set Application to "Microsoft Office Word" when creating a docx file.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Monday, August 30, 2010 4:28 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:28 AM
  • Ji;

Ok, we'll set the Application to Microsoft Office Word. Can you ask the OpenXML spec people to update the spec to state that Application must be set to Word so others know they cannot list their own app as the name?

thanks - dave

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:28 AM