none
3.5 Setup Error. RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm trying to install Net Framework 3.5 and I get a setup error. I am running windows 7.

I got the download from this site: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22

Before starting the process I have already removed previous installations of 3.5 with the cleanup tool. I have also turned the service off with 'turn windows services on or off' (why I would need to do this and how it shows up as running when it isnt installed is a mystery to me, btw it does not show up as being installed in Add/Remove programs).

I am currently running/have installed Net Framework 4 (according to add/remove programs) but according to the cleanup tool I can also remove Net Framework 1, 1.1. All windows updates are complete, so I'm assuming I'm running the most recent versions of Net Framework 4. 

The following is in the error Log:

[07/06/11,00:35:30] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS). MSI returned error code -2145124329

[07/06/11,00:38:24] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS) is not installed.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Irineaus,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you tired MVP’s suggestion? From the download link you provided in your origin post, we cannot see Windows 7 in Support Operating System. It means we cannot install .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 on Windows 7. As what MVP has said, .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is embedded in Windows 7.

First, I recommend you check if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is corrupt in your machine. To do so: Start>>Control Panel>>Uninstall a program>>Turn Windows features on or off>>Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1. If the status of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is enabled, I recommend you disable it and click ok. Then try to enable it again. If the status is disabled, I recommend you enable it directly. If you have encountered any error during the process, it means the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed on your machine has corrupted. In this situation, you have to reinstall OS, because some system files has corrupted already. If nothing happens during the process, you can use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks installed on your computer. If all the .NET Frameworks on your side is ok after verification, this problem is related to the software or application you want to use, and I recommend you contact the support of this software.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 8, 2011 9:06 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• You're trying to install something that is already embedded in Windows 7.

Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 as an integral part of the OS, thus it does not appear in add/remove...

To see the embedded framework:

Control Panei->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off...

In the Windows Features dialog, you'll find Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1. You can expand the node to see/turn on subfeatures if you wish.

FYI, the .NET Framework version numbering system can be a bit confusing. the .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 I mentioned earlier is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base. full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0, not full frameworks. OTOH, 1.1 and 4.0 are full, seaprate frameworks.

Hope this helps. If you need further information, please ask.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:12 PM
  • The reason I'm trying to reinstall it is that a separate program that I am running is encountering an error that, according to the manufacturers, is caused by having a faulty 3.5 Net Framework. They told me to reinstall it to solve the problem, and tragically, that does not seem to be an option. Any recommendations?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:57 PM
  • 1.  it seems you are installing an X64 bit .net framework

is your os x64 bit as well.

2. Do you have the correct installer?

it seems that are using this

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22

this is Sp1

the core installer is found here

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21

http://joeydj.com
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:37 AM
  • To repair embedded frameworks in Vista and Win 7, this is the recommended procedure:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Note that the author states the article applies to Windows 7 as well as Vista.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:42 AM
  • I just ran the sfc/scannow and it came up saying that "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

When I run the SP 1 installer I get the aforementioned setup error. When I run the core installer for just 3.5 it doesn't even get that far, it says that I need to turn it off in 'turn on or off windows programs' except that it is most definitely not turned on. And yes, I am running x64. 

I'm beginning to suspect that the software I'm trying to run that needs the Framework updated is just very bad.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hi Irineaus,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you tired MVP’s suggestion? From the download link you provided in your origin post, we cannot see Windows 7 in Support Operating System. It means we cannot install .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 on Windows 7. As what MVP has said, .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is embedded in Windows 7.

First, I recommend you check if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is corrupt in your machine. To do so: Start>>Control Panel>>Uninstall a program>>Turn Windows features on or off>>Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1. If the status of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is enabled, I recommend you disable it and click ok. Then try to enable it again. If the status is disabled, I recommend you enable it directly. If you have encountered any error during the process, it means the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed on your machine has corrupted. In this situation, you have to reinstall OS, because some system files has corrupted already. If nothing happens during the process, you can use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks installed on your computer. If all the .NET Frameworks on your side is ok after verification, this problem is related to the software or application you want to use, and I recommend you contact the support of this software.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 8, 2011 9:06 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:53 PM