(URI) Protocol association with native program and Windows apps

Question

• Dear all,

I am using VS2012 express on Win8 Pro.

Given that the URI schema is test:// and it is associated with all the following mentioned native and Windows apps.

If only a native program is installed, when I click a URI from browser, then I will be prompted whether allowing open the URI with the installed native program;

Then, if I installed a Windows app and it also associated with the URI. When I click a URI from browser, I will be prompted whether allowing open the URI with the installed Windows app but the native one is not shown;

If I installed more than one Windows apps which are all associated with the URI, then when I click a URI from browser, a program list which contains all the installed Windows apps will be shown. The native one is not in the list;

If I uninstall all the Windows apps, then when I click a URI from browser, I will be prompted whether allowing open the URI with the installed native program.

My question is:

For the registered protocol association,

• Do Windows apps take precedence over the native one?
      • When Windows apps exist, the native one will even not be shown in the association programs list. Why? Is behavior designed as exactly like this? Or I’ve missed something?
    Thank you all!
    Monday, October 15, 2012 9:38 AM