none
EULA - Service Fabric For Windows Server RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the “Service Fabric for Windows Server package”  using the  Download Link - Service Fabric Standalone Package - Windows Server

Extracted the zip file and you will find the EULA_ENU.txt. There are valid points (d & f) which I marked in bold (below) and following are the questions to be clarified :

1. Is it OK to ship “Service Fabric for Windows Server package” along with Micro service Applications to the customer on DVD?
    2. The Micro service Application uses “Service Fabric for Windows Server package” and I generate revenue from my Micro service Application. Is it legally allowed?  

The EULA_ENU.txt mentioned below for item 4.

4.         SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless 
    applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you will not (and have no right to):
    a)         work around any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways;
    b)         reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software;
    c)         remove, minimize, block, or modify any notices of Microsoft or its suppliers in the software;
    d)         use the software for commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating activities;
    e)         use the software in any way that is against the law or to create or propagate malware; or
    f)          share, publish, distribute, or lend the software, provide the software as a stand-alone hosted solution 
    for others to use, or transfer the software or this agreement to any third party.

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:35 AM

Answers

• So the EULA is actually something we are working to reword/ remove from the Service Fabric Package you downloaded. 

You can absolutely make money off your applications that are running on Service Fabric. Just as you would for running a Website for example. 

Point F applies to redistribution of service fabric. So you cannot for example, sell Service Fabric as your own product for a profit. You can of course sell your micro services that do run on Service Fabric. And if that includes a downloaded package that sets up service fabric for a user that is fine. You just cannot sell the Service fabric product itself as something of your own creation. 

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:32 PM

All replies

• I am checking with the product team on this question. Will update as soon as I have more information. 
    Monday, April 8, 2019 5:43 PM
  • So the EULA is actually something we are working to reword/ remove from the Service Fabric Package you downloaded. 

You can absolutely make money off your applications that are running on Service Fabric. Just as you would for running a Website for example. 

Point F applies to redistribution of service fabric. So you cannot for example, sell Service Fabric as your own product for a profit. You can of course sell your micro services that do run on Service Fabric. And if that includes a downloaded package that sets up service fabric for a user that is fine. You just cannot sell the Service fabric product itself as something of your own creation. 

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Any update on this issue?

If the proposed answer was useful please remember to mark it as the answer so others can easily find it. 

Friday, April 19, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Micah for your response and help.
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 2:27 PM