locked
CSS not rendering in WSS 3.0 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just found this site and hope someone on here can help me out.

    We've been running WSS 3.0 for a few years now and last night the disk filled up (I won't explain why...long story that's been corrected and it won't happen again). When the disk filled, we could still access the site but some webparts weren't being displayed and the CSS wasn't being rendered properly (so the site looked all wonky...Times New Roman font, spacing all messed up, etc.).

    Anyway, once some disk space was freed up, the webparts are now displaying properly and for most users the CSS is now being rendered by the site. However, for other users the CSS is still not being rendered. The site still displays with a Times New Roman font and the spacing is still all screwy.

    At first I assumed it was a cache problem, but even emptying the cache and deleting all the cookies, etc. doesn't help. I even had some of the users reinstall IE (upgrading to 9.0, actually), but that didn't solve the issue either.

    Interesting enough, the site displays properly with Firefox and Chrome, but not with IE. I am convinced it is some sort of cache issue for the affected users, but apart from deleting the cache and cookies (which didn't work) and updating IE (which didn't work), I don't know what else to do. I could tell everyone to move to Firefox or Chrome, but that would be a tough sell.

    Any ideas? How can I get the CSS to be properly rendered by the site?

    Cheers.


    • Edited by seadawg99 Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:22 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:08 PM

Answers

  • We fixed it!

    For the benefit of anyone else who encounters an issue like this in the future, the problem was being caused by a corrupted CSS file being retained on the affected (local) computers in the Temporary Internet Files directory. This corrupted CSS file was a 0 byte file that had to be manually deleted from the affected machines. Deleting the Temporary Internet Files through IE (Tools | Internet Options | Delete temporary Internet files) did not actually delete the corrupted CSS file; the CSS file would remain in the Temporary Internet Files directory using that method. We had to actually open the temp files directory using Windows Explorer, locate the corrupted file, and delete it manually. Then once we returned to the SharePoint site, a new (not corrupted) CSS file would be fetched from the server and rendered by IE.

    It is very strange that deleting the temp files the normal way and even uninstalling and reinstalling IE didn't fix this problem. It turns out the solution was very simple, but not something we initial thought to try.

    Cheers.

    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

  • Have you tried resetting the IIS.
    Dare to promise
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Have you tried resetting the IIS.
    Dare to promise

    The server was rebooted, so would that mean the ISS was automatically reset?

    Pardon my ignorance. I am only the content manager for the site. The IT guys haven't made any progress at fixing the issue, so I thought I'd ask around on some of the SharePoint forums to see if anyone had some suggestions.

    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:30 PM
  • We fixed it!

    For the benefit of anyone else who encounters an issue like this in the future, the problem was being caused by a corrupted CSS file being retained on the affected (local) computers in the Temporary Internet Files directory. This corrupted CSS file was a 0 byte file that had to be manually deleted from the affected machines. Deleting the Temporary Internet Files through IE (Tools | Internet Options | Delete temporary Internet files) did not actually delete the corrupted CSS file; the CSS file would remain in the Temporary Internet Files directory using that method. We had to actually open the temp files directory using Windows Explorer, locate the corrupted file, and delete it manually. Then once we returned to the SharePoint site, a new (not corrupted) CSS file would be fetched from the server and rendered by IE.

    It is very strange that deleting the temp files the normal way and even uninstalling and reinstalling IE didn't fix this problem. It turns out the solution was very simple, but not something we initial thought to try.

    Cheers.

    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:50 PM