Unable to load workflow actions from the server - problem! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have problem on Sharepoint 2010 RTM (new installation). I use workflows from the begining and I had no problem since yesterday. I tried to make custom workflow and the SP designer has frozen when saving it. Since than I get message "unable to load workflow actions from server. Please contact your server
    administrator." every time I want to customize or make new workflow.

Need fast solution,

Please help.

Regards,

Luka

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• Found that the problem was uninstalling the office webapps. Looks like that somewhere were still written some paths to the webapps templates which didn't exist anymore.

Luka

• Marked as answer by lukkur Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:18 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi, Luka

This error seems to be caused by custom action assembly load.

Would you please take a look at similar issue and trouble-shooting in SharePoint 2007? 2010 would be the same:

Unable to load workflow actions from the server: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/troubleshoot-workflow-errors-HA010237912.aspx#BM20

You could try modifying *.ACTIONS file and reset IIS as the article above; you could also check if your custom assembly was well-installed in the GAC.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Aaron

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:17 AM
  • I already tried the solution above - didn't work. I don't have a copy of a .ACTIONS file so I can't restore it to previous version...

How can I modify the .ACTIONS file? Is theer another solution without changing the code?

Thanks,

Luka

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:25 AM
  • I also compared the WSS.ACTIONS file to the same file from Sharepoint on my development machine and they are identical.

Best regards,

Luka

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Found that the problem was uninstalling the office webapps. Looks like that somewhere were still written some paths to the webapps templates which didn't exist anymore.

Luka

• Marked as answer by lukkur Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:18 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Luka or anyone else,

Please explain what you mean be uninstalling the office webapps. I am having the exact issue described below and I am at a lose.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:21 PM
  • I had one site collection that was having this issue with workflows in SharePoint Designer.  At the top level of the site collection site settings, I used the 'Workflows' link under the Site Administration to help identify what was missing and was contributing to the error "Unable to load workflow actions from server" in SharePoint Designer.  I was missing some feature files that were related to custom workflows.  Once I fixed the feature issue and could open the Workflows page the error in SharePoint Designer was resolved too. 

Hope that helps someone. I worked on this for quite a few hours until I checked the workflows at the site collection level.

Carlene

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:08 PM
  • I had one site collection that was having this issue with workflows in SharePoint Designer.  At the top level of the site collection site settings, I used the 'Workflows' link under the Site Administration to help identify what was missing and was contributing to the error "Unable to load workflow actions from server" in SharePoint Designer.  I was missing some feature files that were related to custom workflows.  Once I fixed the feature issue and could open the Workflows page the error in SharePoint Designer was resolved too. 

Hope that helps someone. I worked on this for quite a few hours until I checked the workflows at the site collection level.

Carlene

yep.  this helped me.  thanks, Carlene.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Can you specify which feature files were missing and where they are located? I am having the same issue and can't seem to resolve it.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:58 PM
  • If you created the site using a WSP, try deactivating the solution by going to the solution gallery of the site and clicking deactivate. It won't mess up your site since you have already created it.
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:47 PM