Queues - Expiration Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recall reading somewhere (though I can't now locate it) that the queue service was to be changed so that instead of requiring an expiration time on all messages, messages could remain in a queue for a longer period thus incurring storage charges.

Is this something that is to be/has been implemented?

At the moment I still see messages with a null expiration time been allocated 7 days and they are still deleted from the queue after this period elapses.

Thanks

Monday, October 25, 2010 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know 7 days is the maximum time. At PDC09 last year they mentioned that it may change in future releases. As PDC10 is this week it would be a good idea to follow the sessions and see if anything is anounced there.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, October 29, 2010 9:49 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:53 AM
  • The following is (still) documented for Put Message:

[messagettl] Specifies the time-to-live interval for the message, in seconds. The maximum time-to-live allowed is 7 days. If this parameter is omitted, the default time-to-live is 7 days.

I remember reading that this would be changed at some point. However, Microsoft has always been very coy about pre-announcing any upcoming Azure features. However, as Alan Smith points out, this is PDC 2010 week and it has been a year since the last major changes to Azure Storage so it might be worth keeping your fingers crossed.

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:41 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know 7 days is the maximum time. At PDC09 last year they mentioned that it may change in future releases. As PDC10 is this week it would be a good idea to follow the sessions and see if anything is anounced there.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:53 AM
  • The following is (still) documented for Put Message:

[messagettl] Specifies the time-to-live interval for the message, in seconds. The maximum time-to-live allowed is 7 days. If this parameter is omitted, the default time-to-live is 7 days.

I remember reading that this would be changed at some point. However, Microsoft has always been very coy about pre-announcing any upcoming Azure features. However, as Alan Smith points out, this is PDC 2010 week and it has been a year since the last major changes to Azure Storage so it might be worth keeping your fingers crossed.

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:41 PM
    Answerer