none
Odd Problem: Older version of .net exe runs instead of the new one RRS feed

• Question

• I am stumped.  We have a .Net 2.0 application written in Visual Studio 2008 that ran on an older Windows XP machine that died. The version of the applicaion is v1.0.4.0.  A colleague copied the application folder from our server archive to a new PC running Windows 7 (64bit). Apparently (guessing here), he installed an older version of the application (e.g. v1.0.0.0 or something). I noticed that the UI was a much older interface. I copied the newer version to the PC and to my surprise the older version still runs! I double-check the EXE and it is the new version, but everytime it is ran, the old application appears.

More detail: The PC is a brand new Laptop. There was no install/setup program. The application resides on our server as a folder with three files in it: the EXE and two DLLs.  These three files were simply copied to the new PC and executed. When I then copied the newer version, I still copied only three newer files over the older ones. That is it, but still when the EXE executes...it is the older version. There are no ".config" files...no setup programs...just a smple copy.

So, I searched the harddrive for any files with the same name. Found a version in the PREFETCH folder and deleted that. I searched the registry and found nothing. I then threw my hands up and did a system restore to a date that predated the day that the first files were copied over--it still runs the older version! 

To clarify...I cannot find anywhere where this older file is installed. I am not connected to the network so it is not grabbing it from there. The UIs on the old and new version are so different that I am not confusing the two (just in case that crosses anyone's mind...lol). There were never any ".config" files edited (app, policy, or machine).

So, anyone got a hunch, solution, or quetion so that I can figure this out. I am curious as much as anything on how to correct this (and of course I need it corrected).

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Gadworx2,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry I haven't see any thing related to .NET Framework Setup. This is our forum topic.

Please clarify your app details such as programming language and project type, then I'll help redirect you to some other more related forums.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Sure.  It is a VB.net (2008) Windows Form app (EXE) using .Net 2. But actually, I do not think the language and such is the issue. This same EXE on other PCs does not have said problem. I believe it is some sort of caching problem. It is as if, one is on a webpage and cannot refresh (i.e. the page has loaded from the cache instead of the current webpage).

Again though, my app is not a web app, but a straight stand-a-lone EXE.

• Edited by Gadworx2 Friday, February 22, 2013 8:37 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Hi Gadworx2,

If you believe this issue belongs to .NET, I would recommend you try this tool to verify .NET first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:13 AM