cannot load file Microsoft.Owin.Security. Cookies RRS feed

• Question

• User-605499000 posted

Server Error in '/' Application.

My server just told me that it was a web config problem. Below is what I got and the web config looks fine. I have enclosed the web config.  I have checked everything and see that others have had this problem but years ago. I just updated  Microsoft programs including the Owin files.  I hope you can help steer me in the right direction or tell me what is wrong with the web config.

Thanks, Jen

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies, Version=4.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +0
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +37
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +159
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection) +80
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +22
       System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +29
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +39

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies, Version=4.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +777
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +229
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +140
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +176
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetPreStartInitMethodsFromReferencedAssemblies() +99
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath, Boolean& isRefAssemblyLoaded) +307
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart() +165
       System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +590

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies, Version=4.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +10083720
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +99
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +263

Here is the web config file. I loaded the file using Nu-get package manager. I am using visual studio 2019 C# Could the problem be in the beginning of the web file?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!--
    For more information on how to configure your ASP.NET application, please visit
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169433
    -->
    <configuration>
    <configSections>
    <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 -->
    <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
    </configSections>
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.7.2" />
    <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.7.2" />
    <pages>
    <namespaces>
    <add namespace="System.Web.Optimization" />
    </namespaces>
    <controls>
    <add assembly="Microsoft.AspNet.Web.Optimization.WebForms" namespace="Microsoft.AspNet.Web.Optimization.WebForms" tagPrefix="webopt" />
    </controls>
    </pages>
    <customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.html">
    </customErrors>
    <profile defaultProvider="DefaultProfileProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="DefaultProfileProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultProfileProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" applicationName="/" />
    </providers>
    </profile>
    <membership defaultProvider="DefaultMembershipProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="DefaultMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultMembershipProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" requiresUniqueEmail="false" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" applicationName="/" />
    </providers>
    </membership>
    <roleManager defaultProvider="DefaultRoleProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="DefaultRoleProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultRoleProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" applicationName="/" />
    </providers>
    </roleManager>
    <!--
    If you are deploying to a cloud environment that has multiple web server instances,
    you should change session state mode from "InProc" to "Custom". In addition,
    change the connection string named "DefaultConnection" to connect to an instance
    of SQL Server (including SQL Azure and SQL Compact) instead of to SQL Server Express.
    -->
    <sessionState mode="InProc" customProvider="DefaultSessionProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="DefaultSessionProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultSessionStateProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" />
    </providers>
    </sessionState>
    </system.web>
    <runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Antlr3.Runtime" publicKeyToken="eb42632606e9261f" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-3.5.0.2" newVersion="3.5.0.2" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-12.0.0.0" newVersion="12.0.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="WebGrease" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-1.6.5135.21930" newVersion="1.6.5135.21930" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin.Security.OAuth" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-4.0.1.0" newVersion="4.0.1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin.Security.Cookies" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-4.0.1.0" newVersion="4.0.1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" /> />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin.Security" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-4.0.1.0" newVersion="4.0.1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-4.0.1.0" newVersion="4.0.1.0" />/>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
    <entityFramework>
    <providers>
    <provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
    </providers>
    <defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.LocalDbConnectionFactory, EntityFramework">
    <parameters>
    <parameter value="mssqllocaldb" />
    </parameters>
    </defaultConnectionFactory>
    </entityFramework>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="DefaultConnection" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=aspnet-Jen19-20190804123356;Integrated Security=SSPI" />
    </connectionStrings>
    <system.codedom>
    <compilers>
    <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.CSharpCodeProvider, Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform, Version=2.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" warningLevel="4" compilerOptions="/langversion:default /nowarn:1659;1699;1701" />
    <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" type="Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.VBCodeProvider, Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform, Version=2.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" warningLevel="4" compilerOptions="/langversion:default /nowarn:41008 /define:_MYTYPE=\&quot;Web\&quot; /optionInfer+" />
    </compilers>
    </system.codedom>
    </configuration>

Sunday, August 18, 2019 11:36 PM

Answers

• User-605499000 posted

Thank you both for the help.  I deleted the bin and then redid it and that seems to have solved the problem. I think the problem was in the Microsoft CodeDomProvider which I deleted and then redid it.  Now I am dealing with a SQl problem.  

Thank you very much for your help.  

Jen

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:13 PM

All replies

• User-1716253493 posted
    Try reconfigure or upgrade owin from tools=> nuget package manager for the solutin
    Monday, August 19, 2019 3:18 AM
  • User-605499000 posted

I uninstalled all the Owin packages and then reinstalled them. I still have the same problem.  When I try the site on the browsers, I am fine.  No errors.  Do you have any other suggestions or do you know someone that can help me.

Thanks, Jen

Monday, August 19, 2019 7:38 PM
  • User1724605321 posted

Hi bumples18,

Make sure you've installed the library from NuGet package manager. Please also verify the installed Microsoft.Owin package version [In Manage Nuget Packages] with Web.config -> Microsoft.Owin version. Both the versions should match.

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:37 AM
  • User-605499000 posted

Thank you both for the help.  I deleted the bin and then redid it and that seems to have solved the problem. I think the problem was in the Microsoft CodeDomProvider which I deleted and then redid it.  Now I am dealing with a SQl problem.  

Thank you very much for your help.  

Jen

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:13 PM