Reading PDF contents in BizTalk server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Can BizTalk Server 2013 read PDF file contents? Or any third party tool can be plugged in BizTalk to achieve this.

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:07 PM

Answers

• BizTalk as an “engine” can only read XML nothing else.

If you want to do some processing in BizTalk based on the PDF content, then PDF needs to be converted into XML. As of now there no out-of-box support to handle PDF file contents. By using a custom component (custom pipeline component) you got to covert the PDF into XML file and produced XML files can be processed in BizTalk as usual. To get started for PDF pipeline component, read this codeplex pipeline component which in turn uses itextsharp libarary.

http://pdf2xmlbiztalk.codeplex.com/

Or you can create your own custom decode pipeline component which converts the PDF to XML. Most of the custom component use 3<sup>rd</sup> part library (there are many available).

Or when mean - “Can BizTalk Server 2013 read PDF file contents” to route the PDF just using the pass-thru shall pass the BizTalk PDF as steam of byte through message box. You can also use Orchestration to route the PDF message by following the suggestion mentioned here.,.

Processing PDFs (or anything else!) in BizTalk Orchestrations

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by KuldeepV Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Vom,

You can make use of Pdf to xml biztalk pipeline

This is a custom pipeline component that transforms pdf content to xml that biztalk understands.

Alternatively, you can also follow the suggestions made here.

Rachit

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Thank you Rachit for your time.

So BizTalk does not have any inbuilt pipeline/adapter which can perform PDF to XML transformation. I have to use third party component to achieve this.

Do I need to buy a licence for this Pdf to xml biztalk pipeline in order to run it in production environment?

Thank you again.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:28 PM
  • Hi Vom,

No licence is required as this is open source by codeplex. You can download and directly use this custom pipeline component.

Rachit

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:40 PM
  • BizTalk as an “engine” can only read XML nothing else.

If you want to do some processing in BizTalk based on the PDF content, then PDF needs to be converted into XML. As of now there no out-of-box support to handle PDF file contents. By using a custom component (custom pipeline component) you got to covert the PDF into XML file and produced XML files can be processed in BizTalk as usual. To get started for PDF pipeline component, read this codeplex pipeline component which in turn uses itextsharp libarary.

http://pdf2xmlbiztalk.codeplex.com/

Or you can create your own custom decode pipeline component which converts the PDF to XML. Most of the custom component use 3<sup>rd</sup> part library (there are many available).

Or when mean - “Can BizTalk Server 2013 read PDF file contents” to route the PDF just using the pass-thru shall pass the BizTalk PDF as steam of byte through message box. You can also use Orchestration to route the PDF message by following the suggestion mentioned here.,.

Processing PDFs (or anything else!) in BizTalk Orchestrations

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by KuldeepV Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:57 PM