none
Embedded Compact 7 KIOSK mode auto launch issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently migrating from CE6 to EC7, and use KIOSK mode with an init key to auto launch our applications.  Under CE6, this method worked, however, under EC7, we get errors that one of our applications cannot import DLLs which are built into the CE image when it tries to launch.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Init]

"Launch99"="Init.exe"

"Depend99" = hex:14,00,1E,00

Init.exe calls SignalStarted(), and uses CreateProcess to call two executables.  The first is a C# application, which kicks off.   The second is a QT app which has DLL dependencies built into the image.  When it goes to create this process, an error appears that it cannot locate one of it's DLLs.

This same method worked under CE6 in a KIOSK environment.  This also works under EC7 with the standard shell.  Please help.  Thanks,

Nick

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

You are exactly right with telling me where to look, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, didn't expect this to be a missing dependency.  The kernel debugger is showing that ceshell.dll and shcore.dll are missing dependencies of one of the DLLs that my application relies on.  My guess is that these were removed from the EC7 build compared to CE6, however, building them into the image has resolved this issue.  Thanks,

Nick

• Proposed as answer by Misbah Khan Monday, November 14, 2011 8:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by NCSUNickV Monday, November 14, 2011 1:42 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:41 AM

All replies

• What does the DEBUG output say when the application fails? Presumably it will tell you what piece is missing. Is it possible that you have the "search path" for the loader set on your old device and not on this one?

Paul T.

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Hi Paul,

You are exactly right with telling me where to look, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, didn't expect this to be a missing dependency.  The kernel debugger is showing that ceshell.dll and shcore.dll are missing dependencies of one of the DLLs that my application relies on.  My guess is that these were removed from the EC7 build compared to CE6, however, building them into the image has resolved this issue.  Thanks,

Nick

• Proposed as answer by Misbah Khan Monday, November 14, 2011 8:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by NCSUNickV Monday, November 14, 2011 1:42 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:41 AM