none
FTP Adapter Improvements in BizTalk Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• The BizTalk 2010 FTP Adapter now supports read only locations, by maintaining a list of already processed files in the database. When doing a lot of business with FTP sites, this list can grow fairly large. Is there a way to let BizTalk clean it up at a given point in time, when you are sure it can't cause reprocessing. For instance: "delete all files older than 30 days". Any ideas on this one?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In BizTalk Server 2010, the FTP adapter supports download of files from read-only file locations. The adapter now maintains a list of downloaded files in a database. For the next download, the list of files on the FTP server is compared to the list of files maintained by the adapter, and only new files on the server are downloaded. To support scenarios where an existing file is updated between two downloads, you can configure the adapter to also check file timestamps. I do not see issue with list growing large, unless you have thousands of different FTP sites. To clean it up from a given point, you could create a job in the database that does that for you. It is not something you can configure from the adapter!

For more background information read BizTalk Hotrod Magazine 10 with article on this feature.

HTH

Steef-Jan Wiggers

MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010

http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/ | @SteefJan

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk

• Proposed as answer by Biztalk-learner Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rudi Claes Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi

There is a very good blog post "FTP Adapter Enhancements in BizTalk Server 2010" , It explains each new enhanced setting, Have a look it might give you some solution

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com |

My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

In BizTalk Server 2010, the FTP adapter supports download of files from read-only file locations. The adapter now maintains a list of downloaded files in a database. For the next download, the list of files on the FTP server is compared to the list of files maintained by the adapter, and only new files on the server are downloaded. To support scenarios where an existing file is updated between two downloads, you can configure the adapter to also check file timestamps. I do not see issue with list growing large, unless you have thousands of different FTP sites. To clean it up from a given point, you could create a job in the database that does that for you. It is not something you can configure from the adapter!

For more background information read BizTalk Hotrod Magazine 10 with article on this feature.

HTH

Steef-Jan Wiggers

MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010

http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/ | @SteefJan

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk

• Proposed as answer by Biztalk-learner Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rudi Claes Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Steef-Jan,

thanks for your feedback. I got this question in the BizTalk course I'm teaching this week. It is indeed a rather theoretical one, but in a scenario where you are "real time" processing files (not batches) from an FTP site with a 5 min delay, this could potentially lead to 5 x 12 x 24 x 7 x 365 = 3M+ entries / checks on those tables. A clean-up script would then be helpful.

Thx!

• Edited by Rudi Claes Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:52 AM