Using UPS to manipulate data from AD contacts or profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, 

I would like to create a some kind of list, which would store information about users or contacts from AD(f.e. photo, last/first name, telephone, adress).

I know that it is possible to synchronize data between AD and SP via User Profile Services. Can I somehow use UPS as an external resource for a list, to show all the data somewhere on the portal? So there would be a chain: AD <--> UPS <--> List. 

I would like to make the following scenario on the client side partially possible: 

1)open the list (grouped view by countries, cities, regions etc..)

2)open the list item, i.e. imported contact

3)enjoy some data: photo, name, telephone(probably grouping elements: countries, cities etc)

4)edit some data(upload photo, edit name)

5)save

After everything above, list somehow sends the request to UPS, UPS changes contact's data stored and sycnhronizes with AD.

-

I don't know a huge part of SP functionality, and don't know if my scenario is even possible. So i'm sorry for my possible incompetence.

Please give me some advices to provide the functionality above using SharePoint Services.

Best regards,
    Anton

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not sure but i think contacts do not sync in sharepoint. You may look at code, which can get contact from AD and sync with sharepoint list using some kind job (custom timer job or console application).

Here is one similar thread to use System.DirectoryServices.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5058261/how-to-get-update-contacts-within-active-directory

Hope it may help

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

>Will contacts be synchronized with UPS like profiles or not?

Yes, all AD users can sync with user profile. You need to create user profile service in sharepoint then import all users from AD to UPS. User information list will automatically get stared update from UPS once you enabled it. You can also enable my settings feature once UPS is configured.

Let me know if i misunderstood you

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:25 AM

All replies

• try this link

http://sharepoint.mindsharpblogs.com/default.aspx

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

There is hidden list called "user information list" already available in every sharepoint site collection. Where you can see all the user information and it's sync with user profile service.

See this screens for you ref:

http://blog.falchionconsulting.com/index.php/2011/12/updating-sharepoint-2010-user-information/

Now if you want to allow user to update this details then you can setup my settings page where your can update all the UPS properties.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/guruketepalli/archive/2010/12/20/update-edit-sharepoint-user-personal-settings-with-sharepoint-object-model.aspx

Let us know if you have any doubt

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Thanks for the replies!

But I mostly going to work with Contacts in AD, not Profiles. Will contacts be synchronized with UPS like profiles or not?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

>Will contacts be synchronized with UPS like profiles or not?

Yes, all AD users can sync with user profile. You need to create user profile service in sharepoint then import all users from AD to UPS. User information list will automatically get stared update from UPS once you enabled it. You can also enable my settings feature once UPS is configured.

Let me know if i misunderstood you

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Uh.. Look, there are some kinds of objects in AD: Organization Unit, User, Contact, Group, etc. I'd like to operate with Contact in SharePoint. As I know, UPS synchronizes Users from AD, but I don't know if it synchs Contacts. So that was my question about..

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure but i think contacts do not sync in sharepoint. You may look at code, which can get contact from AD and sync with sharepoint list using some kind job (custom timer job or console application).

Here is one similar thread to use System.DirectoryServices.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5058261/how-to-get-update-contacts-within-active-directory

Hope it may help

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:44 AM