convert tablet to desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a windows 8 tablet app that I want to convert to windows 8.1 desktop ....is there a magic "converter" that will allow me to do that instead of re-coding everything.

thanks

Marlon

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi marlon,

Take a look at this documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br229571.aspxTo migrate back is a reverse direction. I think you could migrate a windows store app to a WPF/Sliverlight application. You don't need recode everything because they are quite similar.

There also a suggestion to VS for this issue and I think you could get some idea from it: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4180089-allow-winrt-apps-to-run-in-a-window-on-the-desktop

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by marlon_1_1 Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:23 AM
  • James,

thanks for the links...by the looks of it, it looks like I will have to do a delicate operation of copy and pasting.

marlon

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:14 PM
  • There is no magic. You will need to port the app. How difficult this is will depend on how you wrote it in the first place. You will probably need to redesign the UI some to use more desktoppy controls, but may be able to keep much of your business logic. Your .Net code should move across essentially unchanged, and many Windows Runtime classes are available on the desktop. Windows.UI.Xaml is not, but basic controls (Buttons, TextBoxes, etc.) are essentially the same as their System.Windows.Controls analogues.

For questions on implementing a desktop app please post in the appropriate desktop development forum. As James suggested, WPF (or Silverlight) would be the most natural frameworks to port to, and they each have dedicated forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:26 PM